SM57 Alternatives?

soundo26

I did a charity gig at the weekend and one of my SM57 mics took a stage dive and got trashed. I'm told by shure that I need a complete capsule module which is basically the whole top half of the mic and the cost with delivery, will be about two thirds of the price of a new mic.

I have a dilemma, I've been out of work now for two years and cannot afford to replace this, so unless anybody out there has a mic with a damaged bottom end they'd like to get rid of cheaply, or are moving on any SM57s, I'm looking at other options of mics of an equivalent but cheaper type, any suggestions please?

Many thanks!

If I did a gig, charity or not, and gear got damaged, I would be asking the organisers for repair or replacement of the broken gear.

Can't you do the same? I know they are a charity but this is your equipment you use to make a living... (or possibly not, from reading your posts and profile). If the charity was organising a catered function, and some plates got broken, I'd imagine the company the plates were hired they would expect them to be paid for, if you see what I mean.

Well, in the "almost like an SM57" category (but not quite as good) you could look at the PG57 or the AKG D77.

However, the SM57 isn't exactly an expensive mic and none of the alternatives are quite in the same league. I'd just go for another 57--and if you can get the people who broke it to pay, so much the better.

Bob

I thought of the i5 which is a nice sounding, useful mic. However, the last time I bought one, it was about £75 which isn't that far short of an SM57 if you shop around...and likely more than the "two thirds of the cost of a new mic" number mentioned in the original post.

Bob

I work with charitable groups a fair bit and give significant discounts. When one of the less professional charities then asks for further discounts or freebies I simply point out that they are the charity and not me. Having rented a flat from the Red Cross at a commercial rent I can assure you that all charities are businesses and need to be run as such.

If your kit isn't covered by their insurance I would be very surprised and they need to be realistic and not take advantage of people who, presumably, are already doing them a favour. I support charitable gigs with equipment, time and advice but am damn sure I am not going to pay to do so.

I've had damage on freebie shows before. The best advice I can give is to demonstrate the damage there and then (if of course, you've noticed it!). Whilst I've never been accused of it, I guess some people would have a problem receiving a legitimite bill for replacement, thinking that perhaps you're trying to make money out of them when it was supposed to not cost them anything - that you'd invented some damage to make some cash.

If you can demonstrate the damage there and then, it's clear what the costs are for and quite often people offer to replace before you have to mention money. Think from their point of view, somebody has done a lot of work for you for nothing, and then you've gone and cost them money by damaging something. I'd be feeling a bit guilty if it was me! I'd certainly go out of my way to put things right.

As an aside, even on free jobs, I always issue one of my invoices/terms and conditions sheets, but mark the price as free. They still sign my T's and C's (which include breakages) albeit not agreeing to pay me any fee for the work.

If you'd bought an Sm57 originally, and obviously chose it for a reason, don't let somebody else's carelessness cause you to downgrade.

I'm slightly interested in the fact that you have a trashed 57. In all the years I've had them, I've never had one damaged by dropping - what happened to it?

I'd always thought they were indestructible too!

Somebody cuught the mic lead with their foot whilst leaving the stage and the mic toppled off the stage and hit the floor capsule first! On a 58 the pop shield would have probably absorbed much of the impact but there is no such protection on a 57. I don't usually use them for vocals but the girl who was using the mic had the sort of voice where I couldn't get the "edge" so I thought I'd use the 57 which sounded better for that particular voice.

Archived