hanging someone upside down

hsia

For a live performance in mid Nov. I decied to hang a person upside down on the stage for about 10-15 minutes. This person will be hanged naked only with a rope tied on her ankle. I've tried to find a circus company to install the equipment but don't know which one is the most reliable one. Can someone provide information on this topic? thank you.

hsia

• 2 weeks later...
Apart from the inverted attitude problems, there are problems with the suspension method. "a rope round the ankle" one ankle?? will badly damage the skin and tendons in the ankle and risks nerve damage where the nerves exit their sheaths and go outside the joint to the feet. more used means are to use ski boots with tested fittings made onto the structural soles.

10 - 15mins is a long time to hang somone ( upside down or not) . in fact it is proably a no no. I think the recomended period is no longer than about 7 mins. any longer then you start to restrict blood flow to organs and limbs. its called suspention trauma.

whilest talking to a cirus company is good for the technical side of it I would recomend talking to someone else as a second opion. try chris higgs ( a blue room member) or steve colley at Edwin Shirley Stages ( he was the head rigger on the millennium dome central show say that simon frost suggested you call (thats me).

as with any hanging or suspention of people it is always best to get someone else to do it or find an alterative. this kind of effect is riddled with dangers and can be lethal to all paries comcerned if something goes wrong.

Suspension trauma -over simplified - is blood pooling in the legs aided by the harness inner thigh straps leading to loss of circulating volume to the vital organs leading to unconciousness and death during feet down suspension.

Skin two (dot com) did a ski boot suspension for their show 3 - 5 years ago Talk to them!

Archived