Evening / Short Courses in Live Sound Technology

I have been approached by the person who helps with sound on shows at a local school, asking about courses in the technology of sound.

I have worked with him on a number of occasions in the past, and he does a good job of operating the equipment during shows, but says he would like to learn more about the actual technology involved, and how to set it up etc.

On a typical show, I will set up the equipment, including patching and setting gains on the desk, and external EQ etc. And he will operate the faders and mutes during the show.

If anyone can suggest any suitable courses (preferable in the local area; Hereford, West Midlands) it would be greatly appreciated.

Ideally the course would cover topics such as setting up inputs, desk amps and speakers, as well as topics such as choosing microphone types, and using EQ and effects etc.

Thanks in advance

Lx Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have been lurking looking at these forums for a while now. Having seen your post, I thought I should join and respond.

There is a Music Producer course starting Tues 7th Sept. at Kidderminster College for 30 weeks and costs £240 inc exam. I have signed up for it myself as I have a lot to learn myself. It may not cover everything required but it should cover a lot

I do a lot of the sound/lights at my local Church events - including puppet shows, and in september a gospel choir

David

Exam? What qualification do you get?

Ah - a little investigation shows it to be the Rockschool course.

These are quite nice and useful, although I think this one is Level 1 - so will be basic. :

• demonstrate sound recording skills;

• demonstrate mixing and mastering skills;

• demonstrate sequencing and production skills;

• demonstrate live sound skills;

• demonstrate radio programming skills;

• demonstrate video production skills;

• understand contextual issues relating to music technology.

Looks quite interesting.

I don't think there is an end exam, it's coursework - the £50 is simply the registration fee, rather than the exam fee.

Archived