Quietest Moving Light

Russ247

As it's relevant to a conversation I was having the other day what is the quietest ML? The job we were looking at we are going to have to switch out the CP Pro Plus SV's for probably VL5's as the fan noise is too loud (being recorded!).

Any thoughts??

But a VL5 is nothing like a Pro+ - if someone wanted a washlamp why use a pro+ in the first place and vice versa!

If you compare the noise of a VL5 moving with that of a Pro+ moving and changing colour then they are probably much of a muchness.

I'd Look at Studio Colours and Studio Spots as they don't have fans in so like a VL5 should be completely silent when not doing anything.

regards

Tim

The Source4 revolutions by ETC are fairly quiet, but I believe they do contain a fan or two. But as they're designed for a quiet environment, they're probably less of a problem than some other fixtures. Not a bad purchase price either.

Tim - I know, let me put it this way ... They OWN the Pro+'s & don't use them as too noisy cos of the fans. We are looking at a one day job (well 2 days now - Ah the powers of persuasion! Should have been a plumber ... Only joking!)

It's not really the movement that's going to be a problem it's ambient noise

Hi all,

Firstly the only VL light not to have a fan in is a VL5. If they are prepped properly the should make no noise at all. If you are going to hire them in from PRG(vari lite as we all know it) then make sure they know you need to have them silent as they will make an extra effort to keep them quite. VL also offer sound baffles to reduce the fan noise on VL2/VL4 and VL7's.

I have also heard horrible problems with the Revolution not being that reliable.

Oh Lordy

• 2 weeks later...

Having read the replys on the site, you are right the VL5 has no fans but is a tungsten source, you could also consider the VL1000. This does have fans but they only start working when the unit reaches about 70 degrees and due to the large heat sink fins on the back never gets that hot. there are many different types on Vl1000, they is a tungsten 1KW source either with built in dimmer or external dimmer and an arc source 575w. you can also chose between iris or shutter versions.

All have colour mixing, 5 posisition gobo wheel, diffuser, and a beam angle of between 19 and 70 dregrees which is fantasitic.

Dont know if this is any help... Robe Lighting fixtures have a nice feature where by the fan speed is actually one of the fixture channels, so can be slowed down or stopped when noise is an issue.

yes this is a good feature, but you cant run the fixtures for long before they overheat. I was asdvised by ROBE to have the fans at full if noise is not an issue. If noise is an issue reduce the fan speed but turn off the lamps if the units are not being used for a long period.

vince

• 3 weeks later...
As it's relevant to a conversation I was having the other day what is the quietest ML?  The job we were looking at we are going to have to switch out the CP Pro Plus SV's for probably VL5's as the fan noise is too loud (being recorded!).

Any thoughts??

Deffinatley go for VL's they have them at the royal exchange in manchester

and are amazingly quite considering your sat about 6 foot away from them

Well Folks,

I just used the Revolution from ETC and they don't get much quieter even against a VL1000 they are still quieter.

I love the modular idea, saves messing round. Looks like you can fix them quick, theres nothing much to them (have to point out we worked them for 2 weeks and had no fails).

The ain't quick but thats why its so quite. Its got a punchy 700w (or was it 750w) tungsten lamp thats just like its source 4 friends. Same colour temp to, which is great for when filming, getting colours to look the same etc.

It has a scroller, brave move, but if your designer is worth their salt this should not be a problem, when you want the colour your not f'ing around trying to get you best match (which most of the time still looks out of place with most other movers), it does have to be said.

Gobo's where easy to fit and change, no fancy menus three thumb wheels and of you go.

I really liked this unit. I want more of them!

Adrian

I worked somewhere with the source 4 revolutions. There crap. We had to test at least 20 of them for a show, and at half of them had sticking media frames or problems calibrating the zoom lenses.

Personally I wouldn't touch them!

Just thought I'd let everyone know :o

• 3 weeks later...

Archived