Frequency of LOLER inspections

WiLL

Hi chaps,

I realise this is a topic which has been covered a couple of times but I have a new aspect to throw upon it. Let me explain the situation:

Last August I had a new installation in my venue of 2 motorised trusses and the replacement of 4 manual winches with motorised versions. At the same time my 4 hemp lines were inspected and of course the new installation was rigorously tested as per LOLER regs.

Now... the budget crunches have hit and I've been asked by the bursar to keep a tight hold of the purse strings this year as we batten down our financial hatches. Normally I would get a LOLER test done every year because I'm a belt and braces kind of guy and I like to know that everything is ship-shape and certified as being so. However having had a quote from the company that installed the new bars for a LOLER test this summer (a company who I think did a fantastic job btw)I find that it is almost twice what I have paid in the past. And the money it would take I was planning to use to install a decent sound system in my studio (something the HOD is pushing for). With all that in mind, and the relative youth of the new bars, and also their very light usage (we're a private school theatre not a receiving venue) do you think I could move to a bi-annual inspection? At least for a few years until the crunch slackens off?

Opinions please in non-rants only :D

Well, as discussed in the previous thread, the expected test frequency (as mention in LOLER itself) is 12 months for lifting equipment and every 6 months for lifting accessories (you do not mention these?). Deferring what would be seen as a statutory inspection on cost grounds isn't a good move.

What you might be able to argue for is a less frequent inspection regime based on the equipment condition, environment and the frequency and type of use of the lifting gear. You would need a Competent Person to agree to this and draw up a revised Inspection Schedule. You could try your installation company, but they may sense cost cutting and may not want to play along. Try some other inspection companies, but be prepared to be told "no".

Simon

I've just had a rant on the concurrent Par Bar Safety Chains topic but I'm still firing on 3 cylinders.

I've scanned and (temporarily) posted a page from LOLER on our web-site:

http://www.hi-fli.co.uk/LOLER.pdf

My position is that LOLER is about the only bit of paper that is a "Regulation" which applies to these things and it imposes statutory obligations on an employer. Thing is, I've never really understood Section 9 - Examination & Inspection.

Para(1) is for first-time use?

Para(2) is installation conditions?

Para(3) is (the oft quoted) for kit exposed to conditions. Or does simply using it (up & down) cause deterioration? (Probably).

But it says OR 3(a)iii. Which can't mean to thoroughly inspect at least every 12 months OR (if you've got a scheme to examine more frequently - that's permissible and not against the law). It must imply the possibility of inspecting less frequently.

Note to mods: Is there any way of getting LOLER (which is only 9 pages long) made available to view in an archive or something? I'd be happy to have it on our web-site, but can't be sure of maintaining it long-term.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/90-4.htm Might be a better explanatory guide than the grubby copy of http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982307.htm on the Hi-Fli site.

IMHO if I were a "competent person" asked to sign off on an extended period inspection regime I would charge the OP as much as an inspection. My liabilities would be the same, my indemnity insurance the same and my control of the situation less, so I might even charge more! If, as Simon says, I did it at all it would be with restrictions as to who, how often, what RA regime, etc. that would possibly negate any savings to be had.

I would check with the bursar whether he had a separate H&S or facilities budget to cover these things and if not, why not. You could also approach the installation company with the option of a long term contract for inspection and ask them for discounts.

Kerry, thanks for posting a link to a full copy of LOLER. Our well thumbed copy was bought for £2.80 back in 1998, never imagining that one day there would some sort of way of sending it down a phone line. I have removed the offensive scanned version from our site.

But just to re-state that the LOLER document is "the law" and the HSE document is a (much more readable) pulling together of LOLER, Codes of Practice & recommendations.

Are you saying that your reading of 3(a)iii makes it "legal" for an employer to implement an inspection regime which is longer than 12 (or 6) months? (I'm not disagreeing - I don't know) but it might help the OP to put together a case if there were existing 'best practice' criteria which he could use to argue for an extension.

Hello,

At Special Projects we realised last year that the 'credit crunch' would very likely be the cause of tightening of belts, and that non-tangible expenses would be the first things to be crunched.

As such we published a guaranteed price index for inspections in order to make this important process financially accessible.

Our price list can be found here:

http://www.sps-uk.com/uploads/File/onsite4.pdf

From looking at the OP we could carry out the works required in one day, and as such could offer the service (as per the location) for £390.00 +VAT - this is 'all-in' and there are no hidden extras.

Our engineers are LEEA trained, and we are LEEA development members - our certification system is fully computerised and our staff friendly & efficient.

Do get in touch if this is of any interest.

Dave Green

Better than reducing the number of inspections by increasing the gap, why not double check you're not being over charged.

I have no doubt recommending these people. Very familiar with schools and colleges, and they do not overcharge. They work all over the country and I have no problem giving people their details as their work is 100%. Small company, and equally at home with 6mm wire rope, as well as rope designed to pull an oil tanker - Imagine the size of that crimp!

TV & Theatre Services

Granary Buildings

Eastgate Street

North Elmham

Dereham

Norfolk NR20 5HF

Tel: 01362 667222

Whilst I agree with pretty much all of the above posts, you need to remember your responsibility in all of this.

Sacrificing safety over budgets caused both Space Shuttle accidents.

Considering that the Space Shuttle is the most complex machine ever built (and probably one of the most expensive), then consider this:

Challenger was destroyed by a piece of rubber that got too cold.

Columbia was destroyed by a piece of foam that hit a carbon fibre surface.

Never sacrifice safety over budgets. That is when accidents REALLY happen.

Just a post to back up Paul's recommendations for TV & Theatre Services - we had an eleventh winch bar added to our existing rig by them based on Paul's recommendation, and they're coming back to inspect our entire rig for a very reasonable cost.

Archived