JBL Eon

pete10uk

Hi All

I have a number of JBL Eon 1500 speakers, I've had them for years and have chucked all sorts at them and they've never let me down. Last week I sent 4 out on a hire and one came back with the HF horn not working. My thought / hope is that the Hf horn has protection and that has tripped / blown.

Before I strip the unit down and swap parts to identify the faulty component, can anyone confirm if these units have protection or what parts I'm likely to need to repair this. I don't want to strip it down and have it in bits while replacement parts arrives as I'm short on space and impatient.

Thanks for any advice that can be given.

Cheers

I'm not sure if there is any protection on these, I have replaced the HF driver for a friend's unit not too long ago, the JBL part is about £90 but I'm sure we bought an aftermarket one for about £50 from the US. I couldn't tell the difference, only the mounting was ever so slightly out on the replacement, not a hard job thoughexcept on the pocket.

I'll have to dig to find the details though.

Thanks for the info Neil.

Sorry all for my laziness, I have just opened the speaker and tested the thing, There are 2 bulbs in there which both are blown (on of which has well and truly splattered) I shorted both of these out and the unit seems to function correctly, so I could do with knowing what to replace these with, if anyone has this info.

The confusing thing is when they came back from the initial hire, I took them straight out on another gig and this is where I found the issue, I also seemed to have a blown channel on the amp which came back with the hire and I can be about 70% sure that this speaker had no bass but had top.

I marked the speaker so I could identify it in the office. On testing the amp in the office both channels seem fine and I tested the speaker and it’s the top not working but the bass is. It may be me getting confused as it was a long hard week but I find it strange. For both jobs I had the eons wired in pairs and in honesty I have only checked it signally, is this something that can be explained or is it impossible that the top was working then not?

Cheers

Hi All, just for future reference for anybody out there, finding this post.

I have now sorted this issue, the HF wasn't working because of overload protection. Inside the speakers there are 2 bulbs to protect overloading the tweeter, these worked like a treat as both were blown and on shorting them out the tweeter worked fine.

I have found the diagram of the speaker with the parts listed and these are down as sylvania SK-3 bulbs, although sylvania don't know what these are, nor can they be found on the internet. I guess they are some sort of special order.

I have sourced the replacement parts from www.soundtech.co.uk by speaking to Luke Page on 01462 480000 both replacement lamps cost around £15 with delivery.

Eon 1500 PDF Diagram

Cheers

The bulbs of course shouldn't really blow, they should just light up and limit the power to the tweeters. If they're blown, someone has overdriven the speakers or clipped the amp badly....and then done it a whole lot more besides.

No doubt they were quite happy to try this as they weren't their speakers.

This is a particular bug-bear of mine because if I hire or borrow anything, im always extra-careful to treat it with respect because it isn't mine.

The bulbs of course shouldn't really blow, they should just light up and limit the power to the tweeters.

True, but

I have 8x JBL JRX125, which can really be driven hard with no problems, I've seen the limiters 'glow' on a few occcasions, with no damage to the horns, however, I also have 4x JRX112M monitors, 3 of which have blown horns, while the limiters are perfectly intact.

Currently trying to decide weather to repair them with JBL parts, US copies or Eminence alternatives.

Not really sure how this has blown as I wasn’t there, But the amp was a 1000 watt per side, powering 4 speakers with the clip limiter set to on.

As only one of the speakers blew and the amp shouldn’t really be over powering these (was set to 50% and each unit can handle peak 900 watt) I can only imagine that there must have been a very loud bang or squeal. As I have said I have chucked all sorts at these in the past, you can hear when there working too hard.

£25 for the parts and a set of spares and they will be here tomorrow. Not bad for 8 years use. Happy Outcome. :-)

the amp shouldn't really be over powering these (was set to 50% and each unit can handle peak 900 watt)

The control on the front of the amp doesn't make any difference to the amount of power that it can produce - all it does is change the input level required to produce that output.

Archived