Small Desk

Adrianfreston

Can I add another vote for the Strand 200.

When you switch it on it's as easy to operate as any other 2 preset manual desk. (Like the Elara or Alcora) but if you want to start programming it it's infinitly more powerful and configurable.

And with the Alcora / Elara selling for about £539 (ex) the strand is an utter bargain at £433 (ex)

It does more, is easier to operate and costs less.

James

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks people,

I think I can say, Strand is right out. I have never liked them, sorry if that upsets anyone, but that is my right to have an opinion.

I want some subs or stuff so that busking is possible and I want to be able to put chases on them.

The Zero 88 stuff looks interesting. I will see if I can find a rental place with them that I can go and play. However I have used the Sirus and was not much of a fan either, am I being too picky!

What else is there, I am not sure I know of any rental companies that have the other manufactures from Oz but will go web trawling.

Any others?

Adrian

From Adrianfreston

I want some subs or stuff so that busking is possible and I want to be able to put chases on them.

You can do all this on a Strand 200.

All your faders can be set up as either individual channels, scenes or chases (c/w live control over speed) or a mixture of all three.

I looked at various options about a year ago and the 200 was the only one that, I felt, let me work completely in theatre mode or "Oh God, what-happens-next" mode, or both at once.

To be honest I've only got two minor gripes about my 200 (24/48):

1.) No "GO" button - but so what, you just page over the scenes using the "Auto load" on the A-B faders and

2.) You're limited to 96 cues - but again, for what a 200 is intended for, how often are you going to need more?

Don't dismiss a very capable little desk just because you're not a fan of the companies other products - it's definitely worth considering.

Hey just to follow up some coments made by a few others regardign the zero 88 Frog which I mentioned at the start. I beleive people are thinking of the fat frog which is a moving light desk. the frog is baby bro is the same less the moving capablity. as for it being a 48 channel desk, this is only the case in wide mode so a little extra is better then the 24 limit found in the other mentioned. I think it would be a wise choice to go with the frog for its simple to use capabiltys. which is y the are in a lot of schools and small studios these days. some one also mention a bout a MA light comanader, I never used one but if they are as good at the Grand Ma range then that would be even better. not sure where u can get them from but if its a large gig I asume ur budget will let u seek them out. frogs are prity easy to come by. wise choice not going with the strand they may have cornerd the UK market a long time ago but there are alot better desks avaiable in my opinion for not as much $$$ in some cases. but if its a big gig u gonna want it to do exactly wat its payed for.

Just my opionion

matt

Just to throw another spanner into the works, take a look at the new ETC SmartFade desk - its certainly in the same league as the 200 series, Alcora/Elara and others mentioned. The USB link can (aparantly) be used for taking backups off the desk too, which is quite cool.

I presume your looking to hire these desks, and you want 8 the same...

Your best looking at Zero 88 XLS or a Frog

alternatively some of the smaller jands desks.

Unfortunately most of the other options mentioned, I am unaware of any hire co's with 8 the same. From the big conferences that we do crew get moved from room to room so it is far easier to have all identical setups.

Regards

Tim

If I was putting together with 8 breakout rooms that required anything more than the lights to be on/off or dimmed then I would put a lampy in the room with any desk that suited the purpose and make the lampy do sound!!! I have worked on several large shows with lampies doing sound when we have had more than 15 breakout rooms...

On the desk front, you should be able to rent the elara/alcora's fairly easily but if you are taking the desks on a weeks hire you might be as well to buy the behringer lx desks they are quite cool, fairly easy to program (I took mine out of the box and programmed up 2 mac 250's on it without the instructions) and fairly robust, equally if the show is the same in each room, you can program the show once and using the compact flash card copy it to all the other desks, making the rooms identical with identical programming...

paul...

Just to throw another spanner into the works, take a look at the new ETC SmartFade desk - its certainly in the same league as the 200 series, Alcora/Elara and others mentioned.  The USB link can (aparantly) be used for taking backups off the desk too, which is quite cool.

I've got my eye on one of these for my next purchase - anyone played with one in anger yet?

• 3 months later...
Just to throw another spanner into the works, take a look at the new ETC SmartFade desk - its certainly in the same league as the 200 series, Alcora/Elara and others mentioned.  The USB link can (aparantly) be used for taking backups off the desk too, which is quite cool.

I've got my eye on one of these for my next purchase - anyone played with one in anger yet?

So, has anyone actually had a good play with a SmartFade?

I had a demo at PLASA and quite liked the look of it and got the impression from ETC that the price was going to be very good. However, having now read the manual and found a price on it I'm wondering if I'm missing something as the 1248 version lists at £777 and the 2496 at £1028. Which is a lot of money when compared with a 200; £433 for a 12/24 and £670 for a 24/48.

hey guys

im doing my C & G 1810 theatre electrics/ lighting

I have just had ETC come in with there smart fade desks and they look great, at the min they do still have a long winded programing mode for stack, but programing anything else is simple. but the long winded part will be removed they said to us in the next softwear release.

the desk is prity flexable involving its applacation use and can be used int he following configurations

2 Preset

Sinlge Preset

"normal mode" as quoted on the desk, this is basically a pages of subs.

DMX Back up.

Seems a great little desk, aparently going to retail around £750.

Archived