Coconut smoke?

madorangepanda

I was in a rather poor quality "club" in central London earlier and I noticed that the smoke machine (make unknown) was providing coconut flavoured/smelling smoke.

Any ideas as to how this is done? Special smoke fluid or just the addition of some coconut oil? Does it damage the machine?

There used to be smoke fragrances available in disco supplier's catalogues. However smoke manufacturers don't approve of mods the their fluids.

I'd guess that it was coconut fragrance added to fluid, I'd expect the smoker performance to be impared over time.

Also available are professional fragrance machines which could be used to fragrance a smokey atmosphere.

typically http://www.terralec.co.uk/fluids_and_sundr...ce/20063_p.html other suppliers exist

Can't beat a few years ago when one of our guys mixed a few scents together n got.... FISH!!

You have to remember that whilst some domestic air 'fresheners' use the principle of heating up a fluid to make the output smell of something (usually) nice, smoke/haze machines use the heat in a very different way and at a very much higher temperatures (which can differ between machines). And the fluids that each machine is supposed to use is designed for use by that machine at that temperature. Thus anything you might try to add to your fluid is most likely to change the composition such that a) the smoke generation will be altered, producing maybe less smoke, b) result in fluid being ejected through the nozzle with the smoke and c) yes, the creation of some very nasty (and unplanned) niffs in the bargain.

And d) risk severely damaging the pump/heat exchanger in the machine being abused.

In the early 90's I was working at a club and they had a fog machine but were too cheap to buy any more fog juice, so the empty fog juice container sat under the shelf with the record albums in it. One day the weekend DJ noticed that the container had some more juice in it and was thrilled to hook it up to get some much needed fog for his Saturday night show. The machine was properly heated and he hit the button to send the fog onto the crowded dance floor, but it only sent steam like it had water in it. Then there was the horrible stench as he realized that another DJ had used the container to Pee into. The smell was so bad that everyone left the club.

Archived