Which gel to use for white correction.

TDS

Which gel colour would allow me to correct a PAR56 (colour temp of approximately 3000K) to provide a strong white light. It does not have to be daylight, just a good strong white to light up musicians on stage.

Well, they're all "white". White is a subjective term.

The question is: which colour temperature do you want to achieve? Which "white" is the right one for you? Only you can decide that.

Take a look in the swatch book at L201/L202/L203/L218/L281 and decide which works best for you.

Leave them open-white. If you have to dim them down a lot and they start to go a bit orange, maybe a bit of L203. But if you want white light purely to illuminate some musicians, just leave it alone. Simples.

lee 201, 202, 203, depending on whether you run at full brightness, if you dim, the lower you dim the more orangey you get needing a stronger filter I.e 202, 203, but if your mostly running at full percentage then 201.

HTH

BTW Lee 130 isn't colour correction! Its clear!

lee 201, 202, 203, depending on whether you run at full brightness, if you dim, the lower you dim the more orangey you get needing a stronger filter I.e 202, 203, but if your mostly running at full percentage then 201.

HTH

BTW Lee 130 isn't colour correction! Its clear!

you've got that the wrong way around . the lower the temperature the more blue you need e.g 201.

Lee 130 isn't colour correction! Its clea

yep

And much fun can be had when you spec it in your rig!

Hapless ignoramus running around trying to find something that matches it, until you give them a swatchbook

:huh:

Lee 130 isn't colour correction! Its clea

yep

And much fun can be had when you spec it in your rig!

Hapless ignoramus running around trying to find something that matches it, until you give them a swatchbook

:P

Generally the colour temperature is 3200k, not 3000,try special lavender to take some of the white out.Regards Royj

you've got that the wrong way around . the lower the temperature the more blue you need e.g 201.

Err No.

While a blue tint lamp is generally a cool colour, and an amber a warm colour this is not related to colour temperature in terms of the light source.

Think of a candle (~1000K) and a tungsten lamp (3200K), which is more orange, which is the hotter source? In terms of colour temperature yellows are cool and as the temperature increases the source becomes more white, (I.e corrected by a blue filter to remove the yellow tint) the hottest natural source is the sun at about 7000K.

Another way to visualise the concept is heating a piece of metal, first it will glow red at about 600 Deg, then as it getts hotter going through orange, yellow etc. (not quite getting to white hot before it melts)

There used to be a realy useful picture on the LEE filters site that showed a sliding scale of light sources and it's colour temperature but I can't find it any more.

Archived