CPC/Pulse headset mics, JTS bodypacks and mini-XLR

bruce

I'm just about to place an order for some Pulse headset mics from CPC.

Some will be used with JTS bodypacks, which have a 4-pin "mini-XLR"-style connector. The supplied mics have a Switchcraft TA4F connector - like CPC part CN04285.

There are several Pulse headset mics with 4-pin mini-XLR connectors, eg http://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/mic-3000x4/mi...-XLR/dp/MP33910 - but none show any photos or details on the pinouts.

Has anyone tried these with JTS packs? Are they compatible?

(and also - same question, but with the 2-pole 3.5mm version and TOA packs)

I'm just about to place an order for some Pulse headset mics from CPC.

Some will be used with JTS bodypacks, which have a 4-pin "mini-XLR"-style connector. The supplied mics have a Switchcraft TA4F connector - like CPC part CN04285.

There are several Pulse headset mics with 4-pin mini-XLR connectors, eg http://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/mic-3000x4/mi...-XLR/dp/MP33910 - but none show any photos or details on the pinouts.

Has anyone tried these with JTS packs? Are they compatible?

(and also - same question, but with the 2-pole 3.5mm version and TOA packs)

Very happy with the £5 cheapies from CPC. I use the lapel mics, rather than headsets, but fantastic at a fiver. Think I remember that the equivalent headset versions were available (and much regarded in an earlier long thread here)

The 3.5mm ones work a treat with TOA body packs. They don't do 4 pin XLRs, but for that saving, I just reterminate with the XLR from the old mic.

I would reccomend These its the same headset, but no cable, then you add 4 pole XLR cable or the right angle jack they do the normal 3 pole XLR and locking jack too.

it costs a little more on outlay, but saves on replacing the while lot, ive found it mainly the cable breaking rather than the headset, plus you can replace the cable without having to remove the whole headset, something I have found usefull on shows with head-dresses/wigs, and so far (touch wood) not had any difference in failure rate of the cable (only ever had one mic failure, but it was given a damn good soaking of hair laquer :** laughs out loud **: )

Well, it's never as easy as you think it will be....

I bought a number of the mini-XLR ones for the JTS packs. Works fine.

I also bought some of the 3.5mm ones for the TOA packs. Admittedly, this was a bit of a risk, as I hadn't actually seen the TOA packs at the time. But a 3.5mm jack is a 3.5mm jack, isn't it?

... well, actually, it's not. :huh:

The Pulse headsets came with right-angled 2 pole jacks (there was also an option for a 3-pole straight, but TOA use a 2 pole)

The TOA packs have a 3.5mm jack socket, but it's recessed deep into the pack - you push the plug right in, then a plastic locking cap fits over the top. So the right-angled plug doesn't physically fit.

"No problem", I thought, "make up a few short extensions with a straight 3.5mm plug and socket. Wandered round to my local supplier and bought half a dozen plugs and inline sockets. But no joy - the plugs (2 different types) were too fat to fit in the slim recess on the TOA pack.

Perhaps I could discard the plug cover and just use the innards? No - the flange was still too fat!

So, some fettling required. Take a 3.5mm metal jack, open it up, chuck away the cover. With a dremel and a cutting disk, trim the flange at the top of the shaft to be about half it's usual diameter. We now have a skeleton plug. But it's got to fit deep into the pack - how do I get it out? Don't want to pull the wire!. So solder on some thick wire, looped through the hole on the "shield" connector, to make a "handle". Solder on a short cable. Pot it in epoxy and heatshrink. Add an inline socket to the other end and job done.

On retrospect, it might have been easier to chop up a couple of "pound shop" stereo earphones and use those connectors and cables.

On retrospect, it might have been easier to chop up a couple of "pound shop" stereo earphones and use those connectors and cables.

Probably not, as the wire inside would most likely be that horrible (litz??) wire that is a pain in the rear to solder to properly.

Archived