Club Toilet sound

Tom

Thank you all again.

Did a test run on the mixer in rehearsals and it seems to work fine using a PFL aux. Have now also checked the venue specs and they all seem to have fairly decent desks so I don't think we will have any problems.

(The benifit of the Y split as oposed to using direct outs etc is nothing that you do to ch1 will affact ch2)

James

Sorry, James, but the whole point of a direct out is that anything you do to channel 1 doesn't affect channel 2 - hence the use of the word "direct".

The splitting of a channel using the direct out in order to give 2 different EQs of the same input is very common - especially when 2 singers use the same mic at different points in the same show.

Though strangely on the Soundcraft desk we have in rehearsals the Direct out seemed to be Post-Fade (or maybe just post the mute button, I forget) - which is why we are using a Pre-Fade AUX.

(The benifit of the Y split as oposed to using direct outs etc is nothing that you do to ch1 will affact ch2)

James

Sorry, James, but the whole point of a direct out is that anything you do to channel 1 doesn't affect channel 2 - hence the use of the word "direct".

Not quite.

Every direct out I've seen is post-gain/phase rev. Many are also post HPF. While this often is fine, it isn't always ideal for specific situations.

James

The splitting of a channel using the direct out in order to give 2 different EQs of the same input is very common - especially when 2 singers use the same mic at different points in the same show.

Sorry JSB but that isn't always the case and therefore you can't assume it will be.

Take for example this soundcraft desk,

http://ukfdb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Scan0007.gif

Where the Direct out is Post Gain, Post HPF, Post insert, POST EQ!!!, and switchable post fade & mute.

Also any line direct out from a mic in is always going to be post gain

To recap, the only way of doing it so ch1 doesn't affect ch2 is to use a Y split.

Tom please note that your Prefade Aux could also be post EQ.

Sorry,

James

Sorry JSB but ...

Take for example this soundcraft desk,

[image cut for reasons of space!]

Where the Direct out is Post Gain, Post HPF, Post insert, POST EQ!!!, and switchable post fade & mute.

Sorry,

James

Heavens to Betsy!

I don't know how they can call it a direct out! In my book, "direct" means "direct from after the gain" so that you or someone else can use the same signal in a different way. Agreed, it's always after the gain, but why would you want it not to be? I'm gonna start a 'Campaign For Real Direct Outs'. 'Direct out' should mean direct! Call me old fashioned...!

Sorry for misleading anyone!

....probably down to the difference between something that is primarily a studio board and one designed for live use.

In a studio situation you may well want to record each track individually but want to have full flexibility to set levels, add EQ, etc etc. Since the recording is your only concern, you don't have the problems that doing this in a live situation would give you.

Bob

Archived