Club Toilet sound

Tom

For a touring show, I need to create that being in the toilet/outside at a loud club sound. The action switches between inside the club and in the toilet / outside. You know, like on that Bjork track

In rehearsals we are doing it by winding out the EQ on the desk and then using the EQ switch to cut this in and out. This is almost fine but not quite perfect - it still requires some volume adjustment which is not ideal and also means we can not bump up the EQ for the inside scenes. Moreover, we are not touring the desk but relying on local kit and there is always the chance that the desk does not have this facility.

So - how do I do this cheaply and simply? Is there a magic box I can use?

Somebody suggested an SPX90 or equivalent. Will this work? How would you run it?

Ideas please.

Tom.

An SPX90 ought to do what you want. It has reverb (and tons of other effects), parametric EQ and midi control. There are a fair number available second hand around the web at a variety of prices.

A second idea (if you are willing to spend a bit more money) might be to get a fully-fledged digital mixer. Second hand O1V's are fairly cheap nowadays, or a Behringer DDX3216 is pretty brilliant value for money. This could create a submix doing your toilet effect...but be potentially very useful for a whole host of other applications as well...maybe (depending on size) doing your whole show if the venue mixer isn't as good as you like.

Bob

A couple of solutions,

1) Personaly I would build a couple of settings on a small format digital desk and recall them with a MIDI command from my SFX rig but if you aren't touring with a desk or a SFX rig then you can't do this.

2) I assume that your source of music is CD or MD.

Buy a small cheep DJ cross mixer and a pair of phono Y leads,

Run the CD/MD into ch1&2 of the mixer

set ch1 'clean' and ch2 'EQ' (By using 2 channels you can EQ both sounds)

use the gain of ch2 to make up any relative difference

use the xfader to smoothly fade between both scenes

an example xfader could be

http://www.studiospares.com/images/smallpics/276-180.jpg

£29.90

and Y adaptors are

http://www.studiospares.com/images/smallpics/575-440.jpg

£1.78

If the following apply:

1) you have limited budget and can't purchase/hire equipment

2) you can burn CD's

3) you can get away with gaps in the playback (eg during scene changes)

Then you could burn a CD with a dry mix of the music and an "effected/affected" on separate tracks/discs and cue as needed - only uses two stereo inputs or some track dialling/button pushing, AND is consistent at each venue.

This may help - it's always good to have options!

Obviously, if you need a smooth transition then previous options will be more effective.

I assume that your source of music is CD or MD.

Buy a small cheep DJ cross mixer and a pair of phono Y leads,

Run the CD/MD into ch1&2 of the mixer

set ch1 'clean' and ch2 'EQ' (By using 2 channels you can EQ both sounds)

use the gain of ch2 to make up any relative difference

use the xfader to smoothly fade between both scenes

Why can't I do this but straight into the venue desk rather than into a separate mixer?

I was actually thinking of doing something similar. Take a feed from either the direct out or a pfl aux out and running it into a separate channel and then x fading between them.

no reason why you can't do this into the venue mixer,

the reason I suggested a seperate mixer was that you have your eq setting saved and consistant, you are not trying to reset and recreate the same sond on lots of different eq's across the tour,

It would also be quicker to setup

It would be cheeper to split into 2 ch of the venue mixer and line them up to the same volume to make up for the eq cut.

You could use PFL aux out or direct out but that again does depend on the mixer having the right features available where you happen to be. Another reason why I recomended Y'ing the signal and using your own tiny mixer.

Just some things to think about

James

Thanks James, all very useful.

I'm just trying to avoid buying any extra kit.

The MD players are Denon Pro's so have an XLR balanced out. I assume I can get a y splitter of some form to use with this. Will I notice any signal drop / deterioration by useing something like this? This is only one cue in the show and I don't want to compromise the rest of the sound.

Thanks again.

The MD players are Denon Pro's so have an XLR balanced out.  I assume I can get a y splitter of some form to use with this.  Will I notice any signal drop / deterioration by useing something like this? 

No, you won't get any signal drop / deterioration from doing this.

5 minuites with a soldering iron and you'll be laughing

(The benifit of the Y split as oposed to using direct outs etc is nothing that you do to ch1 will affact ch2)

James

5 minuites with a soldering iron and you'll be laughing

No, 5 minutes with a soldering iron and I'll have a pool of solder in the wrong place and anybody watching would be laughing - but I'm sure I can find somebody else who is a bit more competent.

Alternatively, in my experience, if I wait a bit somebody will post link to a web site selling them.

Thanks again

Tom.

Alternatively, in my experience, if I wait a bit somebody will post link to a web site selling them.

I don't think I've ever seen y-split cables being sold by a mainstream supplier.

If you really can't make your own, buy a couple of the ART splitters - you gain from it being a transformer split then too.

Yet another option...

Does the music have to be stereo?

Could you not edit 1 channel of CD/MD to "inside" and 1 to "outside" (using cool edit or similar) and then run Left into a mono chnnel and Right into a mono channel and x-fade that way? That would keep the music in sync, and you wouldnt have to worry about different desk EQ's etc.

Archived