Extra speakers for theatre show

ian hatch

Hi all

I have a few theatre shows coming up in the near future all with quite high balconies.

So my idea is to hire in a couple extra RCF TT22a's to go with my existing TT22a/TT18 setup to cover the balcony area.

Subs at side of stage, 22's sat straight on the subs to cover the stalls.

The plan is to angle up the other set of 22's to cover the balcony, sat on subs/bracket/stands?

Problem is, how to go about it., and are there any obvious problems.

Cheers

Ian

Is there an advance truss you could rig from? That would be the common approach. Or prosc booms? Or boxes that aren't being sold? Getting them up high is always better to even out the variance in the front-to-back coverage.

Is there an advance truss you could rig from? That would be the common approach. Or prosc booms? Or boxes that aren't being sold? Getting them up high is always better to even out the variance in the front-to-back coverage.

Hi Shez

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a little bit green when it comes to theatres, not the normal venue for the band I normanly work for.

How do you start to work out about flying the boxes and do the venues supply the kit to do it or is it up to me, if so where do I start?

ian

PS what are prosc booms?

How do you start to work out about flying the boxes and do the venues supply the kit to do it or is it up to me, if so where do I start?

I suspect the starting point might be to engage the services of an experienced rigger if it's not something you've done before. Generally the PA supplier would be expected to have the necessary brackets, clamps, safeties, gallows arms etc to do the job in hand. Every theatre is a little different though and can require a slightly different approach, both in terms of the practicalities and the degree of in-house expertise / equipment stocks. A conversation with the chief tech about how visiting companies normally do it will likely give you most of the answers.

Also, depending on the theatre, and its tech crew, a honest chat with them about what you would like to achieve, but also admitting your lack of knowledge/experience, and asking them if they could help you out, may work - better to be honest, than to make a mess of things.

Thanks guys for the relies.

It looks like flying is the way to go, and not the proposed idea I had of the angled-up speaker on the subs.

I'm going to get in touch with the venues and see what they say.

If I have to supply the kit, what sort of things would I have to get or is it better to hire in?

Ian

Do the venues have a house system you could tie into? Generally the bands that play here use their own PA to cover the Stalls (seating at stage level) and circle and then supply a feed to our amps so we can cover the missing bits using our kit. This may be a possibility depending on the capabilities of the venues and the style of music etc that you require.

HTH

Glyn

Do the venues have a house system you could tie into? Generally the bands that play here use their own PA to cover the Stalls (seating at stage level) and circle and then supply a feed to our amps so we can cover the missing bits using our kit. This may be a possibility depending on the capabilities of the venues and the style of music etc that you require.

HTH

Glyn

Hi Glyn

To me that sounds the perfect set up.

I'm going to get in touch with the venues to see if they had any problems with this.

Must admit I'm trying to steer away from the flying option if it's down to me to organise.

Thanks for the reply.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Do not fly it yourself - the risks are too great. If the venue does not have personnel on call, hire it out. (Of course this requires that the loudspeakers have fly hardware - if not, you'll need to hire boxes that do.)

Do not fly it yourself - the risks are too great. If the venue does not have personnel on call, hire it out. (Of course this requires that the loudspeakers have fly hardware - if not, you'll need to hire boxes that do.)

Or suitable flying frames, could be cheaper

Archived