AvTools Discussion

Hi everyone,

I have recently developed a new web application called AVTools, it contains a collection of useful tools and calculators relevant to theatre technicians.

The application can be found at av-tools.co.uk.

Calculators:

Delay Calculator

Wavelength Calculator

SPL calculator

Impedance Calculators: series, parallel and 100v (impedance to watts)

Aspect Ratio

Projection distance

DMX address - binary (Dip switches)

Beam width calculator

Power calculator

Voltage Drop

The application is designed for use on android and iphones primarily, but it will also run in desktop and other phone browsers.

It supports offline usage on Android 2.0+ and iphone devices, ideal for those venues with no signal.

Feel free to suggest other tools you would like to see.

Nice, very easy to use on the iPhone, one bug I have found is when you input into a form and press "go" instead of "done", it just takes you back to the home page instead of say pressing the calculate button. That fault was found on the DMX addressing tool, if you press "done" on the keypad then "calculate" it works fine.

Great start, bookmarked on my home screen.

I'm only using the website - but an indication of the units would be nice. For example - the delay calculator. Does 'Imperial' being 'off' mean that you input distances in meters, in kilometers, or millimeters? And with 'Imperial' on is that feet, yards or furlongs? The SPL calculator is better.

I realise it's optimised for a phone, but it looks pretty sparse in a browser. And it's a little odd the way that the buttons 'zig-zag' as the screen width drops, instead of shrinking in width - which they could, as there isn't much text on them.

But with a few tweaks, could be really useful. Keep it up!

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have just uploaded version 1.0.2 which adds:

dBu / dBV to voltage converter,

option to use AWG in the voltage drop calculator (enabled in settings),

some reworked code to increase performance and reduce size.

If any one has any more suggestions for tools let me know.

Also it has been suggested I should add a few more connectors to the pin-outs section, any one got any ideas?

I have Been trying it out on my iPhone, and it's a good app. One question though, when going back from say lighting to home there seems to be almost like a White flash (I think it is the page reloading) or is it a bug?

Hi,

I could be wrong here but in your Cat5 section you list straight cat5 config in straight pairs?

I make a lot of Cat5 and always thought the standard UTP pin layout was

1 - orange/white

2 - orange

3 - green/white

4 - blue

5 - blue/white

6 - green

7 - brown/white

8 - brown.

Just my thoughts!

It looks like my rj45 straight pin-out was indeed incorrect. There are 2 ways to wire an rj45 plug 568A and 568B. The website quoted below suggests a standard cable is wired 568B to 568B however it can also be wired 568A to 568A. I will make the relevant changes to my app and website shortly.

Information from: http://www.alatec.com/info/other.html

Nice app so far. Just one thing I noticed:

Socapex pinout male: the diagram is badly numbered, ie working around the connector goes 1,2,4,5,8,6,7,8,9,10...

this is the same on the web app.

I also think it would be nice to have a graphical representation of the DMX dip switches.

Good work though.

Archived