Pantone to lee filters

aidso

Right so I have a coperate event on Wednesday and they are looking to have the place washed in their logo colour. The only colour reference I could get was Pantone 137. So could do with some way of finding the closest match to lee as possible. Cheers in advance

It's going to be very subjective.

The Pantone swatch book comes with each colour printed on both glossy and matt stock because the background will change the perceived colour.

However, to my eye Lee 015 looks a good match.

If you have the time it might be worth taking several gels to try and have the client pick the one they prefer. I'm not suggesting you swap all color in the rig, one or two lamps would do. I know its a bit of extra work, but it keeps the client happy and a happy client is more likely to offer repeat business.

Something to bear in mind since you are washing the entire room : different colour walls will respond differently to the same colour light. Also, if the walls are too far from brilliant white you may struggle to match the requested color. Are LEDs or any other form of colour-mixing fixture an option? They'd make it much easier to get the colour you require.

ok so done a bit of colour matching and I think the best mix I can find is 105 orange. Found the hex code for it and it is FFA100. Might give lee a call direct on monday and see what they say.

LEDs are being used but in a different part of the building so have already got the RGB levels for pantone 137

Being in corporate AV, I have a fair bit of experiance playing "Match the Gel to the Logo" - and I have been on a number of jobs where others have played "Match the Gel" for me and screwed up - and 9 out of 10 times it is because they mis-guessed the effect that a beige wall can have on a gel. If you have the chance, make a short-list of colours, and see if your supplier has them in stock and ask if you could grab a sheet of each to test on your actual surface. The other option is to either use some blackwrap to make a small apperture in front of a fresnel that can be filled by the leaf in your swatch book, or to use a profile, and create a matrix out of the potential gels and use that against the walls you are lighting to pick the right gels.

Might give lee a call direct on monday and see what they say.

I imagine they will say "so what lamps are you putting that colour in? It will make a difference to the output"

I still think your best bet, if you have the time on the day, is to take a few different colours to try out. Just put a lamp on a stand on the floor and swap the gels until you find a match. Make sure you use whatever lamp you are going to wash the walls with, and point it at the actual wall(s) you are going to wash. Thats the only effective way of getting as close a match as possible. Everything else is just guesswork.

Archived