Yamaha LS9

AV Doug

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you think I am not qualified ? The LS9 is not a good sounding mixer.
Er, did I say that you were not qualified?

I merely agreed with those who've commented who are far more qualified to comment than ME!

But the simple point is that you would appear to be coming across as a bit over-zealous in your dislike of a piece of kit that seems to enjoy a LOT of popularity with those touring professionals here and who visit many of our venues...

Sorry to be so blunt, but to say that...

...the LS9 sound quality is just not acceptable and I will not allow them to be used throw my house PA. Sound quality can only be as good as the weakest source and as the LS9 is technically the pre-amp it's not up to the task.
is a bit snobbish to be honest.

The website for your venue (acc to your profile the Eden Court in Inverness) is a little lacking in info, but from what I can glean it looks to be a fair sized receiving house. So, exactly which touring companies have you actually refused to allow to hook up their tried and trusted sound desk to your precious house PA?

Im running an LS9 at the minute in a university theatre, and I much prefer the M7CL for movement around the interface, however the LS9 is a great desk for doing pretty much anything we can throw at it, and it sound pretty nice too. Admittedly I cannot compare it to many other desks, but I have not noticed any dodgy sounding pre-amps. Certainly for ease of use its a great mixer to start out in the digital realms, as far as I've had the chance to use other desks to compare to. The main features in this case are easy level-restrictive access to stop meddling people. I also like the ability to play back mp3 and such like, for line checks and such like. One downside I do find a tad awkward is the navigation when in a hurry, however I believe that this is due to me learning the M7CL much more thoroughly than the LS9, however once you get used to it, it becomes second nature.

Could anyone comment on the ease of going onto other bigger mixing desks from the LS9, in terms of how the interface works and the learning curve? Once I get some more real world experience I hope to get my paws onto some bigger desks (like the Venue, Digico, Pro6 and XL8) for some training.

Dunc

The limiting factor is usually the person driving the console. A case in point is when I heard (a B level nation whom I won't mention): The local soundco had to rent a large format Midas in order to satisfy the artist's rider. Having heard the soundco guy mix many times, I am quite confident in saying that he would have made the band sound better even if he were using one of the soundco's Mackie SR32-4 consoles.

Is the LS9 the nicest sounding console out there? Nah. Is it so bad as to be unusable? Definitely not.

I'm a bit spoiled right now in that our local receiving house has a Midas Pro6. With that, it's easier to dial things into the mix to have them sit nicely together but with a few minutes more work I can have an LS9 sounding good enough that 99.9% of the audience won't hear the difference (and probably the majority wouldn't hear the difference even if I didn't spend a few minutes more on EQ etc.

I don't want to be contentious but, if an LS9 sounds THAT bad, you're not using it right.

...and I happen to love d&b Audiotechnik as well....

Bob

I put the point forward the other day to an 01v96 owner that he shouldn't expect a sonic improvement if he looks at buying an m7 or LS9 for live use. In fact I went a bit far and said that I found the M7 (and LS9) less pleasant sounding than their cheaper 96k little brother.

His response was 'go on then... do an ABX test'. Perhaps we should do some double blind testing between different consoles to the usual standards - gain calibrated to be within 0.1dB of each other etc. I then put my tail between my legs and shut up, cos I don't think my ears are anywhere near good enough. Does anyone fancy organising a proper test to see whether it is mostly perceptual or there's any actual fact in it?

M

As I pointed out earlier, it is often the best tool for the job. It's an adequate sounding mixer for what it gets used for, and people who need something better are usually in a position to specify, and get, what they need.

...the LS9 sound quality is just not acceptable and I will not allow them to be used throw my house PA. Sound quality can only be as good as the weakest source and as the LS9 is technically the pre-amp it's not up to the task.

The website for your venue (acc to your profile the Eden Court in Inverness) is a little lacking in info, but from what I can glean it looks to be a fair sized receiving house. So, exactly which touring companies have you actually refused to allow to hook up their tried and trusted sound desk to your precious house PA?

Perhaps fortunately (read on) I don't do theatre tours. My last one was in 1990 or thereabouts.

But if I were about to take a show out that would be visiting the Eden Court, since I've never been there I would probably do a quick google. And when this thread came up I'd be a bit ... um ... concerned. Enough to get on the phone to the management to ask for clarification, and a few searching questions ...

It's an interesting point but using an integer (fixed point) system doesn't mean the quality has to be "poor".

How many CDs or feature films have had their mixing done using ProTools--because, at least the last time I used it--ProTools was a 24 bit integer system. Yes, I've long been a fan of Cool Edit Pro/Audition, partly because it works in 32 bit Floating Point--but to dismiss any integer system as "poor" is more to do with snobbery than fact.

Bob

'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing'

I just sold my m7 and bought anouther ls9 32, that makes 4 ls9's I own. I also recently bought a dm1000 I run 32 channels + 5 stereo returns on four layers 'live' and am more than happy with it.

we don't do analouge

Am I stupid?

I travel the country and europe with The Blockheads and The Animals & freinds, my choice for every show is yamaha digital wether the ls9/dm1-2000/PM they all work the same, the 'I live' while sounding good has very little available headroom on the inputs, this has been a major problem with a particular bass player & seymour duncan pickups. Soundcrafts and Midas are obviosly very good but expensive this means we are not all going to rush out and buy one, the big questions at present is will the digico baby prove to be AS sucsessful as the ls9?

I forgot Digidesign, that big grey console with the sidecar thingy is awesome nothing else gets close, better fx would be nice, but I'm too poor and the trucks not big enough.

how many dB of headroom do you need? you must run your desks pretty hot.

no, this is a common problem with this particular player/pick up combination, it is not possible to use a di box as the front end breaks up when he slaps the bass, I have tried several di's. the solution has been to use his trace di output as this carries slightly less dynamic.

With the ilve it was not possible to hear the bass once the pre was reduced enough to stop it beaking up. dynamic range?

Archived