USB Control Surface

CharlieH

Hi again,

I am looking for a control surface, with built in audio interface, to replace my old Behringer mixer & interface. I sequence on Logic Express on my MacBook pro, but it has only got USB, no firewire. I have searched both the internet and this forum for USb-Firewire adapters but have found none. I would love something like the M-Audio Project Mix I/O and I would probably be looking at that sort of price range; I definitely couldn't afford over £1000, and I would want at least 8 mic channels (with phantom power & pre-amps).

So my question is do such things exist? I have seen Yamaha digital mixers that look ideal, but they are hugely expensive. All of the stuff on the Tascam website that covers the requirements I want need firewire. So if anybody knows of such things, then would you please be able to link me to them? Otherwise is anybody aware of any USB-Firewire adapters good enough to stream 8 individual channels of 24bit audio(I am no hopeful on this side, although it is always worth asking)?

Thanks to everyone for your help, it is much appreciated.

Charlie

According to wikipedia, I.Link, Firewire & Lynx are all IEEE standard 1394, if that helps.

This is true but I don't see how that helps the OP.

I'm not a Mac person, but I'm amazed a Macbook pro doesn't come with a firewire port as standard.

The regular MacBook does not however. Maybe it isn't really a MBP.

Mac

Just checked and it actually isn't a pro :D . I could have sworn I bought a pro, but it was a year or so ago - and I have bought other stuff since, and my dad has bought an iMac. Sorry for the confusion :D

According to wikipedia, I.Link, Firewire & Lynx are all IEEE standard 1394, if that helps.

This is true but I don't see how that helps the OP.

Well, what I meant was that if he could find an I.link to USB converter, say, then that would do exactly the same job.

The regular MacBook does not however. Maybe it isn't really a MBP.

Mac

Just checked and it actually isn't a pro :D . I could have sworn I bought a pro, but it was a year or so ago - and I have bought other stuff since, and my dad has bought an iMac. Sorry for the confusion :D

Are you sure it doesn't have firewire? I'm sure it's only the newest MacBooks that don't have firewire, and I'm typing on a MacBook purchased mid '09 that has firewire.

Are you sure it doesn't have firewire? I'm sure it's only the newest MacBooks that don't have firewire, and I'm typing on a MacBook purchased mid '09 that has firewire.

I bought mine April of last year and it definitely has not got firewire. I have checked everywhere on the body of the thing, and even in the 'About This Mac' bit, under the firewire tab it says 'No FireWire ports were found'.

It is really annoying because a mate of mine has firewire on his Mac, and my dad has it on his iMac. Is there no external PCI caddy type thing that I could mount a firewire card in?

Also, I have been looking around and I like the look of the Tascam fw1884. It looks ideal for my purposes. Does anyone have any views or experience?

Thanks,

Charlie

I bought mine April of last year and it definitely has not got firewire. I have checked everywhere on the body of the thing, and even in the 'About This Mac' bit, under the firewire tab it says 'No FireWire ports were found'.

Charlie

That's weird, I swear that the new MacBook that doesn't have firewire came out after April. What's your model identifier in About This Mac ?

That's weird, I swear that the new MacBook that doesn't have firewire came out after April. What's your model identifier in About This Mac ?

Model Identifier: MacBook5,1

Says on http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macb...idia-ports.html that you should have a firewire port. Should be the 4th port in from the back on the left hand side by my reckoning.

That link is for 5.2 version. 5.1 was the short-lived aluminium unibody macbook which does not have firewire as was clear from the start. I imagine this is also the reason it was confused for a pro.

I should add that it is not possible to convert from firewire to usb or vice-versa and I would be wary of connecting a firewire device to your mac with that adaptor.

Archived