USB Control Surface

CharlieH

It looks like such a product is available, but it's anyone's guess how well it works: http://www.gadgetsnstuff.co.uk/product293427_651814.aspx

Looks promising, and worth a go for £3. I'll buy a few, and see how good they look. Thankyou very much for that grizzly!

I'd be amazed if this works. USB and Firewire are totally different transmission protocols. Voltages are different etc. etc.

At best, it won't work.

At worst, you might fry something

I'd be amazed if this works. USB and Firewire are totally different transmission protocols. Voltages are different etc. etc.

At best, it won't work.

At worst, you might fry something

Right, well in that case is anybody aware of any USB versions of either the Tascam fw 1884 (the device that I would love in ideal circumstances) or a similar device? Or is it worth getting a digital desk, and buy a USB card for it (this would probably go well over my £1000 limit!).

This is really annoying! Why does nobody make a USB version of these things? Is there some technical reason?

Why does nobody make a USB version of these things? Is there some technical reason?

Simple answer, Yes.

Firewire can carry more information than USB, so is preferred for high-quality audio applications.

EDIT: Note: I am aware it's slightly more complicated than just carrying more info, but in the simplest terms it works as an explanation.

Simple answer, Yes.

Firewire can carry more information than USB, so is preferred for high-quality audio applications.

EDIT: Note: I am aware it's slightly more complicated than just carrying more info, but in the simplest terms it works as an explanation.

Right, but in theory somebody could make and program a box that 'read' the firewire signals, and emitted USB signals. This could be expensive, and could cause too much latency to be any use, but do such things exist? I am nowhere near competent enough to make one myself, so I will have to rely on an already made one! :P

Right, but in theory somebody could make and program a box that 'read' the firewire signals, and emitted USB signals. This could be expensive, and could cause too much latency to be any use, but do such things exist? I am nowhere near competent enough to make one myself, so I will have to rely on an already made one! :P

Unfortunately, its not quite that simple. USB uses a system whereby one of the devices is "master" and one is the "slave" In most cases the external device is the slave, and the master device is the computer. This goes some way to explaining why USB has cables with different genders of plugs on each end. As in most cases you can't join two slave devices, and two master devices together. Firewire uses a different system, where both the external device and the computer have the same privileges and rules to follow when sending and receiving data. Its due to these differences (and probably many others) which mean USB and firewire are not interchangeable, even with a clever box. And the adapter you linked to above will certainly not work, chances are the only pins that have been connected together carry power.

As far as I'm aware, there is nothing that is close to the Tascam or M-audio interfaces that uses USB. Your best bet is to cut your losses with your current macbook, sell it, buy a new MBP (they have been updated a lot since your model), and get the Tascam.

HTH

Jamie.

Does that version of the Macbook have a PCI Express or whatever the current varient of PCMCIA/PC Card is? If so you could possibly add some Firewire ports via that route. Otherwise to use a Firewire interface a crazy solution would be a separate PC that does Firewire audio to a network stream, but that's probably a bit over the top as well as having many flaws no doubt.

Be aware, a lot of the desks with USB interface only provide a copy of the stereo mix to the PC, rather than the individual channels pre fader.

As others have suggested, perhaps swap the MB for a MBP, or what about buying a Mac Mini to use for recording, I know they jumped in price a while back, but you might still be able to get that and an interface for under a grand.

OK, I've had a look around and I can get the cheapest Mac Mini plus the cheapest Tascam FireWire control surface for £900. I now need to think about whether it is worth it - and whether I can afford it.

Thanks for everyone's help - you have helped me with yet another problem!!

Charlie

Archived