blank firing guns

susieg

From your reference to "realistic appearance" I suspect you are referring to the VCRA, to which theatrical productions are a valid exemption.

MSER has nothing to do with acquisition (there is one reference, but that is regarding limiting single sales NEQ to the general public to ensure compliance with the storage aspect of the regs).

Also fascinated to know what licences the OP holds with regard to blankfiring and deactivated firearms.... :)

EDIT: wrong smiley!

Just read about this on The Stage, and realised that all our blank fires fall into the now illegal category. Nothing quite like taking 5 guns to the local police station in carriers bags! Hope anyone who has them realise about this ban before the amnesty ends on June 4th.

The fact that this has received so little publicity makes me wonder what exactly a "mandatory 5 yr sentence" for possession actually mean in practice.

Having one, laying about in a store cupboard, that the current management don't know about seems quiet possible - but if the amnesty isn't exactly common knowledge, then it would seem an interesting way to spend 5 years of your life just for ignorance?

In the same way that 'Old lady arrested for carrying a gun. She was taking her dead husband's service revolver to the police for disposal' scenario would not result in a conviction, I doubt anyone would be convicted unless it was blatent misuse.

The last time I was involved in a 'proper' gun scene. The onstage gun was fake and an offstage blank pistol was fired for the effect.

In the past we have just hit a table with a plank and nobody knew that it wasn't really a proper gunshot. Vary the size of table and plank for different sized gunshots. Having fired a 'dirty harry' .357 in the states I was surprised how 'small' the noise was. I suppose I expected something closer to a shotgun! Darn movies and their lies!

Going back to OP. If an individual has a licence for blank firers and deac. How do they not know about the apparent changes to legislation. How can licence holders not have been written to. This is indeed alarming.

PS OT did anyone see the article about fisher price looking guns in the states. Custom paint jobs for pink Hello Kitty AK47s!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all I have just been asked by a customer about our hire stock of blank firing guns [the Olympic 380 BBM is now a prohibited weapon]

I missed this announcement. Firearms amnesty 16 april - 4th june BASC has info

anybody got any other shocks for the industry

:) This post has been merged from a new topic.

Welcome to the Blue Room Steve. Just goes to show it's worth keeping an eye on these forums.

Tom

As an alternative to traditional blank firers, try www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com

Just a suggestion :blink:

Moderation: I strongly suspect that this member works for the company he has linked to. However, as the link is to a type of product I (and, I suspect, many others) didn't even know existed, I'm happy for it to stay on-forum. But as a general note, it is considered polite to explicitly state your association with any link supplied.

Bryson

As an alternative to traditional blank firers, try www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com

Just a suggestion :huh:

Moderation: I strongly suspect that this member works for the company he has linked to. However, as the link is to a type of product I (and, I suspect, many others) didn't even know existed, I'm happy for it to stay on-forum. But as a general note, it is considered polite to explicitly state your association with any link supplied.

Bryson

My Appologies Bryson :blink: You are of course correct, This is my company and I have been spreading the word as much as possible to bring these models to peoples attention. Please forgive me, no malice was intended, the company is a one man operation at the moment and perhaps I should have spent a little longer thinking of how best to introduce this subject to your forum.

Best wishes model1

• 1 month later...
I suspect that the fast progression of these laws has not just left us behind, yesterday I was at a party, with a Mexican theme, and one chap turned up all in black, Yul Bryner-like with a proper wild west style Colt 45 type pistol - amazingly heavy, and pretty obviously one of those replicas that can be turned into a real gun. Trouble was, the owner was a just retired Judge!

question for you all, I know ill get a definitive answer from the police, or rather I'd hope I would, if a company brings in a now illegal blank firing gun, what is my obligation as duty technician?

Dan

taken from the BASC website -

This amnesty is complicated by the fact that the .380 calibre Olympic BBM revolver has a cousin in the format of the ‘Olympic 6’ .22 calibre revolver, which is very similar in looks to the .380 calibre version and is used by the vast majority of dog trainers in the UK. The .22 BBM revolver variant is not subject to the Amnesty. To tell the difference the .380 calibre blank is a centre fire cartridge and the revolver holds 5 shots. The .22 is rim-fire ignition and holds 6 shots..

BASC Article

Archived