mini disc players

friedhaloumick

the sony machines are getting impossible to source now. autopause has also vanished from some of the remotes. Everyone is dumping full size MD as fast as they can. Tascam have discontinued their cleverest (and my favourite, the 801) and now have just one model left, autopause on the remote - but it works a little differently to the sony autopause - if while playing, the sonys are nudgd on to the next track, they stop in pause. tascams only autopause themselves, if you nudge the track button they play straight away, so you have to press pause, track increment, then it will wait. the Denon MD range has also shrunk and have never been reliable enough for me. sharp and toshiba seem to have given up altogether. Before long, there won't be any left at all.

thanks for the link Bryson - a couple of rather odd errors though in some info. The tascam 301/350 doesn't have the auto pause switchable from the pc keyboard - you MUST use the IR control and the output is +4dB, not +10! - all of my desks are happy to take a +4dB input at a lowish gain setting.

The lack of available players at any price is a bit worrying - the great 1U pro Sonys were rather nice, but sadly no more.

no-one even makes a ghetto blaster or full size hifi one now - a few midi sizes and the sony and similar portables. Even the hhb portable md with usb looks like it is on the way out.

thanks for the link Bryson - a couple of rather odd errors though in some info. The tascam 301/350 doesn't have the auto pause switchable from the pc keyboard - you MUST use the IR control (snip)

Dunno how to say this Paul, but having run venues with both models, you are absolutely wrong. Perhaps you're not using the right button?

thanks for the link Bryson - a couple of rather odd errors though in some info. The tascam 301/350 doesn't have the auto pause switchable from the pc keyboard - you MUST use the IR control (snip)

Dunno how to say this Paul, but having run venues with both models, you are absolutely wrong. Perhaps you're not using the right button?

I've got a 350, and had a 301 before that. I've never found the function on the computer keyboard - where is it? you can toggle play mode and auto space insert on the function keys, but I've tried very hard and can't find the autopause function anywhere other than on the infra red - if it can do it, it would be damn handy - I can never find the remote in a hurry.

The tascam 301/350 doesn't have the auto pause switchable from the pc keyboard - you MUST use the IR control and the output is +4dB, not +10! - all of my desks are happy to take a +4dB input at a lowish gain setting.

Sorry Paul I believe it was my information you are taking issue with.

F9 triggers auto pause (via auto space) on both of my MD301s

Sorry for the typo - quite serious realy with the hot XLR outs and having to pad them down for our pro tools instalation we were doing at the time when I typed that message.

Sorry

James

I've just bought some Sony E10s through Stage Electrics - a bit more expensive than the domestic models, but they do have autopause and a hotstart facility. My information was that they are not being discontinued in the United States, so you could source them from there, although purchasing stuff from across the pond brings its own problems.

I went for the E10 rather than the E12 as I decidedthat I didn't need the networking capabilities for my application, and that with interconnects between desk and player unlikely to be more than 1.5 - 2metres, it wasn't worth paying a couple of hundred quid more for balanced outputs.

I'm really confused now - F9 puts it in and out of autospace - but it plays through - no going into pause. If it's on space and power removed and re-applied, it stays in that mode. The IR remote will put it into autoready, but F9 doesn't. Maybe this 301 is a very early (or late one) with some sort of different version of the os?

paul

Archived