Cheap 6" Speaker as Tops/Satellite

Blaize110

Hi,

This is more a hypothetical thought whilst surfing the waves of the internet rather than an "I want to do this" but I would be interested to hear what you guys have to say.

You can pick up a pair of QTX/Skytec/Soundlab 6" and horn speakers for about £50. It occurred to me that 6" was probably not a very good bass driver. I presume they have some kind of crossover inside to separate the horn and 6" 'bass' speaker. I wondered what the outcome would be if you were to remove the crossover and use them as tops/satellites in a 3-way PA system with something like a 12" mid/fullrange, a 15/18" sub and a signal-side 3 way crossover.

What do you think of this - would it work and would it sound any good?

Rory

Ok - would it sound good? Well, what do they sound like before you pull bits out? A £25 loudspeaker is never going to be anything other than a £25 speaker. Work out how much each component costs and then consider the fact that it's a complete and utter mismatch.

If it's hanging about, give it a shot, but be prepared to wince.

The components in the cabs you mention wont be up to much. If you shop round you could buy Celestion, Fane or Eminence components for similar money or you could go for something like the 8" or 10" boxes from our PULSE range for not a lot more than the boxes you mention yet these have true compression drivers and reasonable quality drivers. A poor 3-way system wont sound as good as a decent 2-way system.

Eons ago a mate and I experimented with using low cost speakers for mid/tops; we built a box with eight 4" drivers in series / parallel, and put them on top of a couple of 1x15" bass boxes (I'd hesitate to call them subs) each side, driven off MM amps. The scary thing was they sounded really quite good (for a pub PA of the 80s) but they didn't have the power handling required, which is a polite way of saying we overloaded and thus melted them.

But they sounded so much better than the horn loaded boxes so popular in the day.

We did this cos we were so impressed with the Clair S3 which was almost all cone loaded, and we though (pretty much correctly) that cone = good, horn = bad.

Edited to add - They also looked pretty too :P

My experience of cheap speakers is that the marked efficiency suffers as they try to get a purse out of a sow's ear! I acquired a cheap set of 10" and they sounded wooly and not loud. Swap in some Eminence 10" drivers and they were so much better, really the cheap drivers worked but sounded really bad, and used a lot of power to be that bad, putting them at risk!

Just move up a price bracket and buy a better system. Home or "HiFi" speakers will often have small drivers built for bass extension at the cost of efficiency and spl. Also a speaker that is "full range" in a small room may not sound full range in a bigger space

Good grief.... You invented the Bose 802?!

Hmmmm (with acknowledgement) - I think the Bose's were already available when we did this stuff, but we had pretty blue exposed cones, so maybe not the technology, but certainly a fashion statement! Must see if I can find a piccy!

Thinking back, it wasn't an 8x4, but two 4x4 boxes and they clipped together in pairs to protect the cones in transit, or VW LT28 or whatever...

Archived