Installation dimmers

rooftop

If you had to replace 60 ways of Strand STM Dimmers (plus a further 6 non-dim channels and 2x 5kW channels for house lights), what would you opt for?

Possible candidates are

* Zero88 Chilli 24x 10A plus a couple of other bits to do the 5kW and non-dim

* Ditto above, but with Strand Wallrack

* ETC 36-way Sensor Rack filled out with 30x 3kW dual dimmer modules, 5x dual non-dim modules and 1x 5kW dual dimmer module.

Any others worth considering?

There is probably a premium on ETC compared with the others, but am yet to get quotes on any of them. The cost of power distribution will be cheaper with the one ETC rack.

I can say from experience that the chilli's are very nice units to install and use and I've never yet had any major problems with them. The only thing that has annoyed me on them so far is that the DMX connection is a bit fiddly to get to.

I would also suggest the avolites art install dimmers if you're looking at bigger name brands.

I have experience with both AVO install dimmers and the CompulDim systems. Both are solid. I am not entirly sure of the module capabilities of the Avo ones, but the Compulite ones are quite diverse. I also have a friend who has a chilli install at his venue and he has never had any problems with them. I cant help you with prices on the Avo ones because I wasnt the one who bought them. But if you want a quote for the Compulite ones, please feel free to give our office a call - 08452996072.

Best Regards,

I've installed a few Strand Wallracks and found that they are very easy to install and pretty versatily with there panelwork with knockouts top and bottom for cable inlets. Also the "brain" is effectiveley a module so if there is a fault then this can just be swapped from unit to unit. As your probably aware they offer a 24 x 2.5Kw, 6 x 2.5Kw and a 6 x 5Kw so will server all your needs, internally everything is well labelled and laid out and plenty of space between terminations.

Cheers

Dan

PS Also have installed these in use with Strands wallmount remotes (2, 4 and 8 ways) which are quite handy, especially for house lights, program with a remote with normal strand terminology and take power from the dimmers so just run a CAT5 cable to them and power can run down that. They can also have upto 8 (off the top of my head) remotes which all act together (I've only ever wired 2 together though) for various locations in your space.

I have both Sensor and Chilli at work (Sensors doing main rig and 16 channels of chilli doing house lights and workers).

Chilli:

Pros - no fans (the sensors are great dimmers but you need them in a rack room with good acoustic isolation).

- If you have need for simple house light controls for non technical users the chillinet stuff is straightforward and you can set things up so that it is

overridden if DMX is present.

- Triacs are an easy off the shelf swap from RS or Farnell.

Cons - 10A/channel (The Sensors have 15A channel modules so you can shoehorn another lantern into a trelco if need be).

- Lots of wall space for not many dimmers, but if you are replacing STMs maybe a non issue.

- They seem more prone to acoustic buzz then the Sensors (But the Sensor sounds like a hovercraft anyway due to the blower....).

- Parcan filaments are definitely more audible on the Chilli then on the Sensor.

Sensor:

Pros - 15A/channel (if your wiring can take it this is a win).

- Ability to swap modules (of the same rating) so turning a pair of dimmed outlets into a non dim pair is easy (sometimes handy).

- ETCs architectural controls are somewhat more sophisticated then the Chillinet kit (may be totally irrelevant).

- Entire spare power modules are easy to swap in in a hurry.

- Net3/ACN support (Possibly useful if you have a lot of data infrastructure already in place).

Cons - Possibly a single point of failure in the rack control processor.

- Cannot swap a single triac, you pretty much end up swapping the entire power electronics module.

- Fan that sounds like a hovercraft (At least on Cem, don't know about Cem+).

- Very good interference suppression.

I will not comment on the others as I lack personal experience.

IMHO dimming is about the least interesting bit of a theatre, the only time it matters is when you really wish you didn't have to think about it.

The decision is almost purely down to some combination of what will fit, and what interfaces and outputs you need.

I would be very tempted to use a separate rack for the house and workers, means you can drop the stage dimming power for maintenance and still be able to see....

HTH.

Regards, Dan.

I have 4 x chilli 24is in my venue as a recent install and I'm very pleased with them. One big plus being the chillinet control system which works independently of the lx desk meaning that users of the venue (in my case teachers) can use a key to turn on a choice of 6 pre-programmed states for theatre lighting without getting me to power up the desk etc.Although admittedly this leaves me wuith the bigger problem of getting them to turn them off again afterwards ^^

I would stick with Strand if you want quality,

Remember Strand have been around for a long time,

If any one knows how to do it right they do.

I supose it all depends on your considerations,

Quality

Price

Features

Whats your major considerations?

If you had to replace 60 ways of Strand STM Dimmers (plus a further 6 non-dim channels and 2x 5kW channels for house lights), what would you opt for?

Possible candidates are

* Zero88 Chilli 24x 10A plus a couple of other bits to do the 5kW and non-dim

* Ditto above, but with Strand Wallrack

* ETC 36-way Sensor Rack filled out with 30x 3kW dual dimmer modules, 5x dual non-dim modules and 1x 5kW dual dimmer module.

Any others worth considering?

There is probably a premium on ETC compared with the others, but am yet to get quotes on any of them. The cost of power distribution will be cheaper with the one ETC rack.

Chilli:

Cons - 10A/channel (The Sensors have 15A channel modules so you can shoehorn another lantern into a trelco if need be).

I don't have Chillis, although we were considering them a while ago, so the spec isn't alien to me, and they do 16A and 25A models, as well as the 10A ones.

Archived