Pyros

Matthew Robinson

Hello. I'm doing a small variety concert (for charity) over the summer and would like to ask some questions:

1) Do I need a pyro license? I searched the forum, and the conclusion that I came to was that as long as I informed the local council, did an RA and was competant, I would be ok and legal? However, most of the threads seem >1yr old, so I just wanted to check that the information was still correct.

2) Do I need any specific license to transport them? I plan to carry them in a Renault modus with the associated control equipment & assorted LX equipment.

3) Large packs: I'm looking to fire about 2 during the show, so boxes of 10/12 seem way too big. It's a one off, so I don't want to have loads spare (that I'll have to dispose of, at a pretty massive cost). Would there be any BR members that would be willing to sell me a smaller amount (3, so I have one to demonstrate during rehearsals) in Yorkshire, preferably in the Halifax, Huddersfield or Leeds area?

4) Finally, onto the design. I'm looking to fire two vertical flames at the beginning of the show to try to emulate 'The X-factor', 'Over the Rainbow/ I'd do Anything', etc. Furthermore, I'm looking for a glitter drop effect for the end - should I go for a large amount of glitter in a piece of guttering that I (or somebody else) tips over the performers at the end? What is BR opinion on this?

Please note that I will be 18 at the time of the concert.

Thanks

Matthew

E2A: That topic was particularly specific, wasn't it? :rolleyes: </sarcasm>. Mods, please feel free to change the title to something more specific.

Questions 1,2 and 3 indicate clearly that you are NOT yet a competent person, as you demonstrate that you have too little knowledge including formal training and supervised experience.

Q4 indicates that you haven't looked at suppliers' lists as the le Maitre flame projectors are sold packed in singles so need three buy three.

Doing a confetti drop is a standard piece of theatrical rigging. Rig the confetti at height and drop it as soon as needed carefully and gently, you don't want a kilo of glitter just dumping onto the stage! Work at height awareness!

First get yourself on the ASP safety awareness course -see this forum section's pinned topic.

When you have done several effects events then getting the required insurance will be easier.

I presume you have read all of this: http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=36070

If so you will see that a common opinion is that anyone starting out with pyro could benefit from a course. BR member Lincoln would be the guy to get in touch with so you can reinforce your competAnce. (sic)

Wilf, please don't tell me that pyro and after party drinks are a good mix. Sorry Jive, beat me to serious comment.

I'm sure the usual 'if you have to ask, you should not be doing it' type stuff will get said. Pyro IS very dangerous, can and has killed before. You're just turning 18, there will be plenty more time to learn, shadow people and do some spectacular pyro shows... all in due time!

On that note, if you're very desperate to have pyros get a competent person to come and do it. If you ask nicely I'm sure they will talk through what they're doing, procedures etc. Just be polite, offer to help and try and learn as much as possible.

If you can't get anyone, then use Co2 powered confetti. Its safe, effective and something you should be able to do safely. Have a look at the link below:

Magic FX Confetti

I've used that over explosive pyro confetti before; safer, easy to setup and a good effect! (Well priced too!).

Not to put you off or try to put you down, we all have been through it (myself included, not that long ago), but when you have to learn the right but most importantly safe way.

Many venues will ask to see your insurance if you want to do pyro there, There is NO affordable insurance for people with no experience and no training.

Get a competent and insured pyrotechnician to do the job AND show you want they do. Get onto one of Lincoln's courses - ther's the training element, then try to get some experience, assisting another pyro with real jobs.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Recently there have been a few notable incidents with unsuitable pyro being used reported in the general and trade places. Usually several people get killed and maybe a place gets burned down too.

Pyro is great done well and safely by competent people. It's NOT a trial and error subject!

Archived