3D Cinema

medina

I know this is not strictly theatre based but alot of venues have a cinema attached or have facilities to show 35mm. My question/thought is, with the release of yet another 3D film, 3D TV in pubs and clubs and the 3D TV market for domestic use in the shops, is there a viable market for original format film screenings, or should we just let it fade away like cassettes and video?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, yes there is.

3D Films give me a headache, not sure about anyone else.

Also, Action Movies and the like are (arguably) made better by 3D, but can you honestly imagine RomComs, love stories, and the like being better in 3D?

It is pretty cool, granted, and Avatar impressed me, but the glasses are too much effort. if they can make 3D TV without the need for glasses, then I'm listening!

35mm 2D will be around for a while yet.

Defiantly, and as well as RomComs etc... all the Indie films and small budgets that don't necessarily make it to the big screens (Vue, Odeon etc) are probably not going to be 3D anytime soon

another way of thinking may be to paraphrase this to live audio:

"now that it is possible to get a massive PA hired in for not a great deal of money, does that mean every church fete will now have a 20kw PA System?"

Right tools for the job and all that...

IMHO 3D is the way forward, within 5 years I expect that all high budget films will be in 3D, and in the longer term probably even low budget movies will be 3D, as the equipment becomes affordable.

However that does not mean that flat 2D will be obsolete, consider the vast number of existing 2D movies that people are still willing to pay good money to watch.

It will be like the transition from black and white to colour, once colour filming became affordable, its use became near universal but that did not stop people paying good money to watch existing classics in monochrome.

There are at least three basic technologies for 3D cinema.

The oldest system projects alternate images for the left and right eyes in different colours, normally red and blue/green. To view this, special spectacles with coloured lenses are required.

This is cheap and simple, a standard projector, or colour tv, being used, and the spectacles cost pence.

The drawbacks are lack of good colour in the projected image, and a flickering picture because with the standard 24 frames a second, each eye only sees 12 FPS.

A newer system uses polarised light, verticle polarised for one eye and horizontal for the other.

To view, spectacles with polarising lenses are worn, these are more costly than than those with red and cyan filters.

Special projection equipment is needed at substantial cost.

The most sophisticated system also uses polarised light, but in conjunction with "active" spectacles.These pick up a signal from the cinema equipment or TV set, and block or transmit the image to either, or both eyes as required.

A newer system uses polarised light, verticle polarised for one eye and horizontal for the other.

To view, spectacles with polarising lenses are worn, these are more costly than than those with red and cyan filters.

Special projection equipment is needed at substantial cost.

Actually, it is suprisingly affordable (comparitively). We ran a quad 12x9 3d system running 1080p. Gear hire for the 2 days (plus setup day) came to just over AU$30,000 for the 8 projectors (Double stacked projectors each with a special polarising lense inside the unit - don't know the specific product names, except that they were christy 8k projectors).

The media was rendered out to a pair of video servers which were frame-locked. You can get plugins for all the major 3d packages which will render out correctly. Of course shooting real life video in 3d is a lot more expensive.

Comparitively, a regular '2d project' at the same type of output is still bout $10->$15 for gear hire alone.

-Mac

Bob - If you're forced to go and see a 3D Film, wear the glasses but block off the left side. or butcher 2 pairs and combine 2 similar lenses.

I covered my eye up for most of avatar, extreme short-sightedness in my right eye makes headaches when I try and focus on the screen...

interesting points, but to maybe add another dimension to the discussion,no pun intended, can the smaller venues without 3D technology survive the 3D revolution, however long it lasts, against the big boys like odeon, cineworld etc.? Cinema audiences are demanding and the film makers need to keep the interest going. The smaller low budget films will surely have to make way for the bells and whistles productions taking the smaller cinemas with them.

Hi

I believe 3d is a kind of a gimik but I think it will now be around for a while as the equipment now cost a lot more. the Theatre / cinema that I work in as a technician / Chief Projectionist has just ivested in a new digital 3d cinema projector whitch cost a fortune. and apparantly the Dolby 3d weel that they use to do the 3d which is installed in all the dolby 3d projectors cost in the region of 105k put if you purchase the whole system speakers, projector, ampsetc it costs in exess of 60k.

I watched alice in wonderland in the vue the other day which uses the `real d` system then watched the trailer for the same film at our cinema the other day which operates `dolby` equipment and I must say the dolby equipment is better

Archived