laser pyramid

Jerome

Hi guys,

I didn't know if this should be in this section or not but I thought it was an effect. A friend of mine needs to create a laser pyramid. I was thinking one laser on the rig throwing four beams to the floor. What laser might do this and how? The rig is 4 metre's high. Looking for cheap options.

Hope you can help

With decent lasers that can be meaty enough to do the job you're not talking 'cheap' to be honest. I wouldn't recommend anything 'home-brewed' for lasers to be frank, and you WILL have to consider a variety of safety issues if you're going to do it this way.

My view? I'd tell your friend to think of another effect or cough up anywhere up to a grand for a decent hire company to come in and rig/operate.

Thanks for the help Ynot. Looks like a laser will not be an option. I've been looking at hire costs and you're right they are expensive in terms of the budget.

but if anyway can think of a cheaper method please feel free to enlighten me.

Our rate for doing something like this would be £400-£500 per night including 2 watt green laser, Hazer, laptop with Pangolin, and a fully trained (and certified) laser operator.

PM me if interested but I doubt that counts as cheap!

but if anyway can think of a cheaper method please feel free to enlighten me.

What's suitable depends entirely on the situation and exactly what your mate is looking to achieve.

For a budget WWRY laser cage, for example, I've used a slowly rotating circle of dots in a Mac 550 from overhead.

If the effect is bigger than that, maybe use 4 narrow degree profiles with an iris to restrict the beam size.

To be honest, there are likely other options, most of which will be pretty cheap to do.

But that's what separates those who have the vision to create these effects from those who just think they have...

:D

Guest lightnix

Hire a powerful moving light (e.g. Clay Paky Stage Zoom 1200) and put a gobo with a square design in it. If you use a glass gobo, then you can get a clean line with no breaks in it.

If a mover is too dear, then use a generic profile instead.

Remember that any kind of beam effect needs lots of smoke or haze(much preferable!) Get haze sorted first than lots of things will give you an economy beam in that haze -even a knife is some foil and make a gobo to fit in an existing wide profile.

Have a look at the BRIT Awards 2008 - with the Klaxon's and Rhianna it may give you some ideas to do it on a smaller scale.

Have a look at this

which I have magically found via youtube

I've been told this was acheved by rigging 4 martin RGB Lasers in different corners of the pyramid for different effects (scolling up/down/across)

I'm sure you could use cheaper lasers for a similar effect!

Archived