Basic Lighting Design Ideas

ahocknul04

Hey guy's I just wonder what ideas you would come up with on just basic lighting ideas that I could take into account for whenever I may design and op LX for a show which could be acheived with the Zero 88 Jester 3x Par 64 Frezzers and Profiles.

I look forward to some ideas you may come up with

Thanks

Ally

;)

You'll be best served reading a book on lighting design (I can thoroughly recommend Pilbrow), and learning the fundamental concepts and approaches to lighting. Lighting design is just that - design - and is very show (and designer)-specific. What works for one thing may not work for another; you need a good grasp of the fundamentals so that you're able to apply them creatively to come up with a good design for a particular show.

A few recommendations:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/1854599968.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/087830147X.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/3791343718.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Frezzers? Fresnels?

Seriously we can't answer these kind of questions. How many Fresnels and profiles do you have so we can get an idea of scale - and 3 PAR 64s? We really can't do a design for you without an idea of the venue and the event - Equipment is rarely the stimulus for a design, the design picks the kit and positioning.

You'll have to give us some clues.

And ... please - frezzer???? I don't know anybody who uses daft names like this. I suspect I'd worry about an LD using the word - just a bit 'playtime' - sorry.

fresnel

Sorry for bad spelling!

This is in our Drama studio

I was spelling Fress as we speak not type

Er, no - you typed 'Frezzers' in, I suspect, an attempt to maybe sound 'cooler...'?

Mate, come back and ask the same thing when you have done your own research on the subject. Use the books as discussed and search the forums on here for a whole wealth of information.

Then, once you have given us more information about what show you are going to be doing, what the set is, how its going to be staged , what facilities does your space have etc etc, then we can offer you some sensible advice!!

But in answer to your question, I could light the walls of my bedroom or the outside of a shop or a dark dusty corridor or anything you want really with those bits of kit!!!!!!!

BE MORE SPECIFIC!!!!

Its like saying, I have a posi-drive and a flat head screwdriver and a bag of screws - what can I do with them?!!........

;) I think you're missing the point.There is no such thing as a generic lighting design, in my opion.Yes ok you have a 3 colour wash, but that hardly counts as an lx design.Lx design is personal both to the designer and to the show.I am currently on tour with the Bittersweet out of this world tour,the design is fluid enough to cope with different venues while still forfilling the directors vision.You cant have a one size fits all design for all shows, otherwise you come up with the sort of design I witnessed in Derby theatres the snow queen,woefully un imspiring.As for fressers???????, has our profession gone so far down hill that we have to resort to that sort of terminology.When I was starting my training, I was made to memorise lanterns by their patt/model numbers,this enabled me to assist a visiting technical manager who had never come across a p28 cap or bifocal shutters.Perhaps we could help you more if we knew what show? What fresnels?What profiles? What has the director asked of you?What lamps has your par64 got in them etc,Lx design is more than just bunging up any old light any old how, you seriosly have a lot to learn, and would endorse you doing research by reading any of the excellent books allready mentioned.I n lx design you cant play at it, you either do it, and do it well or dont bother.My advice is learn the terminology, learn the design theory,do it well and take pride in your design.Do this and you not only will produce the goods,but also you will be taken seriously,when coming onto the forum.I have been lighting for 25 years but I'm still learning,thats the joy of the job.Keep it illuminated Roy

For complete beginners there isn't much around even today to beat Painting With Light by John Alton/Janos Altman. Very old fashioned, based on film lighting but great at explaining the basics. Some of the books suggested might be a little too much as a starter for younger school pupils...who are ALL special. Now fill in the rest of your profile, please.

No My bad spelling

Hmmm...

I'm not going to drag this down to a SPaG discussion, but come on, be honest - especially when the evidence is clearly against you.

You posted:

Hey guy's I just wonder what ideas you would come up with on just basic lighting ideas that I could take into account for whenever I may design and op LX for a show which could be acheived with the Zero 88 Jester 3x Par 64 Frezzers and Profiles.

Sorry, young man, but that isn't a spelling error, it's a colloquialisation - and a poor one at that.

Now - let's move on.

You've had several very good responses to your question - hopefully you'll be taking them up.

Ok

1) I will be taking these up

2) Ok no point in fighting out yes the evidence is clearly against me

3) Thank you for the posts of the Books I will be buying some of these And hope these would be a great help

I'm not going to drag this down to a SPaG discussion ...<snip>

If you were I imagine you'd pick on more than "Frezzers" :(

Slightly (very?) O/T = but on the subject of colloquialisms in lighting the only one I've heard is Parcans become "Parcies" (no idea how you spell it, presumably derived from Birdies) - If you really want a more colloquial word than "Fresnels" just go with "Fs" ;)

As everybody else says, it does realy depend on the requirments for the show. However, theres an old favorite that we used alot at college, a 'Straw wash' which we used/can be used for a variety of moods.

How many Fresnels do you have? And what wattage are they? We would do this wash in our studio sized theatre using about 10 1Kw fresnels. We had 6 down the stage right side of the rig, open white. Adn the remaining 4 down the stage left side with straw gels (Lee 103). Have a play around with differant intensities, locations and angles of the luminaires.

And yes, take a look at the recomended books in previous replies.

OT but I've heard (and used) the nick-name 'Fressies' for Fresnels.

*Takes cover to avoid the incoming* :D

However, theres an old favorite that we used alot at college, a 'Straw wash' which we used/can be used for a variety of moods.

One of my favourite colours. I've used it on a variety of shows. My favourite was an extract from Chicago, Cell Block Tango.

Straw front lights and wash. White down and backlight, so the cast could walk in and out of their White spot. Very effective.

Archived