Rackmounting non-rackmount kit

ojc123

I have a few bits of non rackmount kit eg cassette player which I would like to put into a rack for tidiness. I've searched and I can only find shelves which would do if I could fix the player in position somehow. Is there a standard way to fix this type of equipment into racks or do I have to construct a kludge of my own? I have tried the search function but I'm obviously not searching for the right thing.

I unscrewed the feet of my cd player then used the screws and their mounting holes to fix the cd to the tray

Yes, I also find this the most satisfactory way, especially as most non-rackmount seperates these days have those circular feet held on through a single tapped screw hole. Mark and drill the rack shelf accurately and if necessary substitute longer screws where the feet went, checking of course that they only penetrate the unit as far as the original ones did. We dont want to screw right through the mains transformer do we!

Don't do what I saw once which was a CD player glued into a rack shelf, it came in for repair and levering it out of the shelf so I could gain access to the innards was more difficult than actually repairing the thing.

Some Denon stuff is just the right width to pop into a rack, and has the case held on with two screws per side.

These are easy to fit to a rack shelf with just drilling a few holes.

In my old CD / cassette rack box (still occasionally dragged out for "that" kind of show) I used rack shelves that came in three pieces, but discarded the bottom, just keeping the sides, and they are what I drilled for the side screws.

Archived