Green Flaming Torch

Andrew Edwards

A typical scene...

A mob ascends a hill at night carrying torches. Only the torches are green...

Google throws up a number of ways to create green flames and most involve adding things to the fuel that perhaps you should not be exposed to, even outside.

As this is being filmed, it would all be done in post but if anyone has any ideas for doing it live then it would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Andrew.

You can get green fire gel - it's called green Bengal fire. I know the German company flashart.com do it, but I can't find a UK supplier for them at the moment.

This old thread discusses coloured pyro effects and might be of some help.

And here is a page with some recipes for making powdered Bengal fire - not what you're after, but it may be of interest.

I think doing it live could probably end up dangerous with a concoction of chemicals, I suggest using a normal orange flame then in post changing the Hue of the flames using rotoscoping, not the most ideal solution as you want to do it live but probably the safest.

Guest lightnix
I think doing it live could probably end up dangerous with a concoction of chemicals...

Nonsense - on what do you base that piece of "advice", exactly? :D

As another member had already pointed out - before you posted - there are commercial products available, precisely for this purpose.

Home Of Poi are based in New Zealand, but I've never had an order take longer than a week to reach the UK - they have it very well together. As mentioned: those powders are for use with alcohol based fuels e.g. meths; which will burn off quicker than the usual paraffin and won't be as bright.

There's an article on HoP about coloured fire, which suggests Boric Acid (MSDS here, Wiki here) for making green flames - which might be a cheaper option. This is one of many articles on performing with fire, which include some useful safety advice.

How big a crowd are you talking about and how many / what type of torches? 200-250ml of fuel per torch per burn would not be unreasonable IMO and you may only get a couple of usable minutes per burn.

That could mean having a lot of fuel lying around. Presumably you'll have some kind of Fire Officer, or experienced professional on hand, to advise and keep the mob under control B-)

e2a... I just checked the OP's profile and he's a member of the ASP (Association of Stage Pyrotechnicians), so probably not totally new to fire B-)

Thanks for the advice, not going to be a huge mob. The Poi option will likely suffice.

I am certainly no stranger to fire as my father was Fire Prevention Officer for Leicestershire for half of his 25 year fire service career (and then a consultant for Leicester Uni).

I used to tour with him on many a 'buy a smoke alarm' demo. Set fire to a fair few living rooms and chip pans...I've even been Welephant (if your are old enough to remember) and Fireman Sam!!

Andrew.

Archived