coloured lamp oil and coloured flames/ flames in general

robert morley

Hi all it's been a while since I started a topic but here go's

I was browsing the Internet (as you do) and came across a lamp oil additive that will change the colour of the flame e.g blue, green etc and wondered if anyone has used these before and if the colour is as intense as the pictures.

Many thanks

Rob :P

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you talking about Bengal fire? I've used the green stuff from Flash Art and it is certainly colourful enough under the right lighting conditions. It's not quite as bright as 'normal' flame, but is very eerie.

Similar stuff is sold for the flame projector system that used oil to create the flame (as well as com air or propane) - I did have a pricelist for it if anyone need serious quantites, I will dig it out. Not cheap was my memory of it

http://www.confettimagic.com/images/pic_oillamps1.jpg

FF offer it but IIRC are not the importer

Colin

I didn't bother sharing the link for Flash Art as the site is mostly in German and is not easy to navigate. But the English page can be found here.

Go to the Downloads page and look for the PDF file 'FA Catalogue - Nitro, Illumination'. You'll find their Bengal Gel in there.

The magic corona system comes out of China, your route depends on the local agreements, stunning but not standard DMX and not cheap.

Re reading some earlier posts, some confusion as to the effect the OP wanted, I am assuming it is coloured flame that is wanted not a pretty fluid colour for a clear glass holder that still burns orange as a few posts seem to imply

Re reading some earlier posts, some confusion as to the effect the OP wanted,

it's for a stage show when the audience stransported into the devils dundgen I already have green flame projetors (lemaitre) but wanted some small green flikering flames at the frount of the stage.

but wanted some small green flikering flames at the frount of the stage.

The Bengal flame will work well for this. It was used in a production of 'The Seagull' a couple years ago at the Edinburgh Festival for just such an underworldy scene. Several small flat tins with a bit of cotton wool soaked in green Bengal fluid. Looked very eerie indeed.

I'm not sure whther you would want to use it or not, but I have made up paraffin oil to burn different colours in the past for some of my fire performance work... the only issue is colour... some of the chemicals needed are hard to come by depending on what colour you want to go for...

Archived