Martin MX-10

lentan

Hello all. At the club I run lights at we have 2 Martin MX-10's. One of them works just fine, the other one will randomly shut off for about 15-20 mins and then turn back on. Once it is off I can't strike the lamp or anything, it acts as though the bulb is burnt out, but it's not. Wondering if anyone had suggestions as to what I could do to fix this and/or what might be wrong with it.

Sounds like a thermal sensor is kicking in and dousing the lamp, probably overheating or a faulty sensor. You could try cleaning all the dust out with an air compressor for a start.

Sticking with the over heating theme (and it sounds very probable) you could also check the fans are working.

Also whilst you're at it it would do no harm to clean the other one, if they've had the same treatment then it's probably only a matter of time and better that it doesn't getting cooked more than necessary.

That will be overheating...

I look after 12 in a nightclub situation and they require very regular cleaning of the fans and optical paths, then again our club is pretty bad for dust anyway!

While you're cleaning them, make sure you get all the dust buildup out from not just the fan but the wind tunnel bit if blows air through, you'd be amazed the amount of dust that can build up in there!

Also clean the optical paths and colour wheel, if its got so bad its overheating then they will definatly need a clean. I'd also for good measure put a new thermal sensor in too, they're not too expensive.

So clean it out ASAP as well! Its not good if you keep running it upto its thermal limit!

Whilst cleaning a fixture is very important to both it's cooling and it's optical performance, and should be done as a mater of routine. I'd say the OPs problem is more than likely being caused by a failed fan.

I have 8 MX-10s and one of them did exactly that. After several conversations with Martin, and ruling out termination etc., they suggested a faulty thermal switch as mentioned above. When I opened the unit, and metered out the sensor (NC contact when cool) there was an intermittancy when wiggling one of the connectors. Replaced thermal sensor and unit has been ok since.

Archived