Lighting Music Gigs

karl

I was looking at some music videos on You Tube including ones filmed at gigs.

I (obviously) noticed the lighting. Some, at pub/club venues, consisted of sticking stuff on 'sound to light' mode and letting it get on with it but the bigger gigs are obviously very carefully designed. It got me wondering how you go about designing lighting for a gig. Not so much what kit you use but how you use it.

My background is in lighting drama and more often than not the design is driven by time/place and or mood/atmosphere. Also in drama the aim is usually for the lighting to go pretty much unnoticed. With music you don't have the same constraints and starting points so where do you start?

Do you design a number of 'looks' and then deploy them as the mood takes you or do you carefully choreograph the lighting for each song? Do you work in conjunction with the performers or do your own thing?

I'm not looking for a blow by blow guide to gig lighting - I'm just curious how it works in general in the music side of lighting.

Happy song? Sad song? Contemplative song? Rocky song? Dance number? "In yer face" number? etc. etc. etc.

Go with the mood of the song and you won't go far wrong.

But is that something you'd preplan so each song (or part thereof) or is it as thmadhippy says a case of going with the flow?

Well if I was LDing I'd listen to the band's music first (maybe from a demo CD) then hear them play (pub gig or rehearsal room) then compile a list of the sort of moods I wanted to create, then design a rig to suit that (sounds remarkably similar to lighting a play!). But if I was just lighting a gig rather than LDing (i.e. busking to suit whatever turns up) then I'd put a rig together that I thought might suit the style of music that was in (rock? indie? pop? rock n roll? blues? etc) and then go with the flow. If they introduce a song called "Thrash your butt in my hedgetrimmer" then I'd put up something different to if the title was "you're the custard to my apple pie" but if the title turned out to be a massive irony and the style of music was completely different to what I expected then I'd start to subtly change it, often by making a big change when the chorus kicks in then going back to a similar but more appropriate state for the second verse to make it look intentional.

Have a search for previous threads about what styles of lighting suit different styles of music. They make interesting reading.

But is that something you'd preplan

All depends,if your permanently working with an act then its possible to pre plan,likewise if you know of the bands work you maybe able to design and program in advance ,adjusting the running order once you see a set list however as is often the case t you wont see a set list,or if they do its given to them at the same time as there told to kill the house lights so then its a case of busking ,having a desk your confident on with a rig youk now well makes this a lot easier

For me it depends on time as to how matched the lighting is.

If I have loads of time then I'll listen to each song being played and plot for each song specifically. If I've got a lot less time then I stick a load of different chases on subs as well as some static 'looks' to busk between. But when busking, as others have said, only busk with stuff that is appropriate for the song. If it's a slow love song then lots of fast chasing colours wouldn't be entirely appropriate!

In terms of rigs I make sure I've got a good facial in there FOH and then on the stage I have as many parcans as I possibly can with various colours in them.

Karl,

My experience from a number of years of Indie and Rock acts along with a selection of Folk, Rockabilly, Jazz, Brass Band and String Quartets at music and pub venues, bike rallies and beer festivals is as follows :

If you are working with an act regularly you will be able to pre-plan and program an entire show, or even individual songs if the set list varies from gig to gig, talking to them about what they want.

Booked acts at events I try to get hold of the tech spec if they have one - ask the promoter / organiser for a phone number in advance if they don't and have a chat before I specify the rig.

If working with unkown acts and you can't get the above then a well prepared desk has always been the key for me. Easily accessed clearly labelled chases and fixed states and then go with the flow. If you can talk to the act before they go on then all the better. They may want a particular amount of stage/face light. Possibly not want a strobe even if you feel it appropriate etc.

If doing battle of the bands and other on the fly gigs with younger bands I find You Tube, MySpace and the web a good source to listen to their songs and try to get an idea of what I will need.

I started off in theatre/dance lighting and once at university gradually got drawn into live band gigs on both the lighting and sound side. I found you have to be more spontaneous with bands as you never know when the lead guitarist/singer/drummer/keyboard/bass player (delete as you see fit) will go off on an unplanned solo that you need to react to. Even the most out there theatre rarely for me involved the lead actor going that off script.

As for set lists they are nowhere near as sacred as a script and will probably not be followed anywhere nearly as rigorously !!

Above all for me it's about going with the flow and using experience gained over time with the ability to keep changes in time with the rhythm/beat, remembering the lighting should add to the act not detract from it. I also try and enjoy it as I find any expression of my own emotion comes through in how well I deliver.

Cheers,

Matt

I have to say I have huge admiration for anybody who can busk a show like that. I'm used to having everything planned up front. The odd occasion where I've had to fly by the seat of my pants have been stressful enough (children's performers who don't have scripts but do want lighting to reflect the events in the story).

Do you think it helps if you are musically talented - I'd struggle to tell a chorus from a verse ;)

Fascinating stuff. I shall have a search for topics on lighting for different music styles as suggested - it's a whole new area to investigate.

I have to say I have huge admiration for anybody who can busk a show like that. I'm used to having everything planned up front. The odd occasion where I've had to fly by the seat of my pants have been stressful enough...

It's really not as difficult as it seems, as long as you're well prepared you can usually blag your way through most gigs, themadhippy really did hit the nail on the head though with...

having a desk your confident on with a rig you now well makes this a lot easier

Not to mention the classic rock 'n' roll philosophy of...

I chuck up loads of par cans,add some colours I think will go well with the music then fill my face with loads of illegal substances and go with the flow.

When you say 'musically talented' Karl, you certainly don't need to be a classically trained pianist to do the job, but an understanding of the basic principles behind music and song structure do make life a lot easier.

Going slightly off topic...

I make sure I've got a good facial in there.

... Seriously? You didn't read that before posting and question your wording?

Jacet

I do nothing but busking for every band that comes through, it pays to ask the band though. A few times just b4 they go they say, no blue or green, strobes and smoke. So the show is a little limited

Sounds like a good reason not to ask the band ;)

Rather unprofessional, don't you think? After all, you're there to light the band, if they have requests then you should cater to them if possible... not like the punters are there to see a lightshow.

Rather unprofessional, don't you think? After all, you're there to light the band, if they have requests then you should cater to them if possible... not like the punters are there to see a lightshow.

Yes I think it is rather unprofessional, that's why I included the sarcastic smirk / joking smiley at the end... It was meant to be a joke.

If a band have certain requests or instructions with regards to the lighting you should always endeavour to work to these constraints. I find it can be very frustrating if I think that the quality of my work is limited by constraints put in place by other people, however if they are the clients then they should get what they want.

Archived