which sub to opt for - help please

smoggy

Hi all. I have a pair of rcf tt 22a speakers (which by the way are the best speakers I have ever had)

My dilemma is. I want a sub to help out in larger venues, I know the speakers are designed to be run with the tt18 but I wouldnt be able to carry, transport or even afford one let alone the two.

I went out and bought a db 15d sub. I tried it at a venue and I didn't like it. It didn't carry and it seemed to rumble rather than have a defined thump.

So I took it back.

I'm now looking the rcf 902 or 905 sub. Both are 1k watts and the 902 has a peak of 130db the 905 131db.

Their is a price difference of 200 pounds and Im hoping for some help here as to the biggest differences between the 2 would be?

I perform in a lot of small venues were the sub wouldn't be needed, I use a car so size plays a part (although the 905 would fit) I'm a solo act so naturally I would be carrying this myself.

Am I right in thinking that the 1db difference will just mean the 905 would be a third louder? Would the 902 throw/carry as well as the 905?

Thanks in advance. Simon

I'm now looking the rcf 902 or 905 sub. Both are 1k watts and the 902 has a peak of 130db the 905 131db.

Their is a price difference of 200 pounds and Im hoping for some help here as to the biggest differences between the 2 would be?

The 902 has a 12" driver, the 905 a 15". The first goes to 45Hz, the second to 40Hz (both at -3dB point). So, the 905 will go slightly deeper, but having not heard them, I cannot say how noticeable this will be, or whether the extra money and larger cabinet is worth it.

Am I right in thinking that the 1db difference will just mean the 905 would be a third louder? Would the 902 throw/carry as well as the 905?

No, a 1dB difference is barely noticeable...

Another Simon

The 902 has a 12" driver, the 905 a 15". The first goes to 45Hz, the second to 40Hz (both at -3dB point). So, the 905 will go slightly deeper, but having not heard them, I cannot say how noticeable this will be, or whether the extra money and larger cabinet is worth it.

No, a 1dB difference is barely noticeable...

Another Simon

Thanks for the reply Simon.

It is difficult to tell if the differrence in frequency range without hearing them. So im stumped on that one myself...

you have said the 1db difference shouldnt make that

much of a difference, but will a 12" sub carry/throw as far as a 15" cab?

It should do because there's no such thing as carry/throw. All speakers will obey either point or cylindrical (or somewhere in between at some frequencies) propogation laws.

That said there is some subjective perceivable quality that some subs can kick at the back of the hall whereas some only kick close up.

Hi

I run TT22A's with TT18A's, and they are absolutely brilliant.

If the budget could be stretched or save a little longer they would be worth the wait.

They are a lot easier to move around than you would think, they surprised me.

But if not, have a look at the RCF 4PRO subs, slightly heavier than the 905's but sound nice.

If it was a toss up between the 902 & 905's, I would go for the 905's, nice subs, you would notice the difference between 12's & 15's even if the figures suggest very little difference

I'm sure Greg @ RCF could offer advice, he really helped me out.

Hope this helps

Ian

I have tested both the RCF 902as and RCF 905as.

I bought the 902as.

Both are excellent subs. There is virtually no difference in bass response between the two. The 905 when really pushed very hard was a tiny bit deeper. The 902 is under 30kg in weight and slightly smaller than the 905 which meant it was easier to carry into the vehicle and venue, which for me was the deciding factor. RCF is top quality stuff. I paid £840 for the 902 with a set of XLR leads thrown in.

Well, let us know what you think.

I had the 705 sub for a short while and thought it was garbage. I quickly learnt it's shortcomings doing sound for a band with a Synth Bass player.

No wonder they didn't release a freq chart for it, some notes disappeared - others were present. One in particular just completely filled the room! (Nope it wasn't a room mode - just the tuned frequency). I can see why they call band-pass designs one note wonders now...

did you get a good deal from rcf direct or from a dealer?

My concern was the bandpass design. If I could go for the 4pro 18" sub I would (I think they are front loaded) but im just one man and a saloon so I wouldnt be able to transport it.

Im getting a pretty good dealer from a dealer locally. (£759) did find another local dealer for £739 but I felt the extra warrants the support I will get from the store im buying it from.

but I felt the extra warrants the support I will get from the store im buying it from

I'd just like to take a moment to say thank you for your good attitude towards your local dealer, it's a refreshing change from the people who go to their local dealer for a demo, and then order online to save themselves a tiny bit of the purchase price... :P

Archived