Backdrop stand

dwents

Hi Can anybody help

I was at a wedding fayre yesteday and another exhibitor had a frame work that he used for doing orgnanza backdrops with led lights and covered in a fine organza net my question is he used a frame work that was so easy to set up it was a square base approx 12" X 12" and it had a rectangle whole cut out of so you could carry it? the uprights seemed to be made of of a brushed ali and they had an adjustable height which was a tube that dropped inside and at various heights it had the ball bearing on a spring that you just push in and raise or lower (hope that makes sense) on the tube that you raise/ lower there is a rectangular slot on each side prob 40mm x 5mm which you can add a cross bar to make a goal post on each end of the cross bar seemed to be a flat " L " shaped piece of ali that sloted into the uprights this l shape stops the bar from falling out left or right and the only way the cross bar can be moved is up and to the side.

(Im not sure that made sense imagine a bar say 8 feet long laying horizontall and each end was a L shaped piece of metal riveted in with the short part of the l facing down)

I can only seem to find dj style tripods but this wont work because of the legs it need sto be brushed ali as a lot of the drapes we use are see through the idea of this is you can just keep extending it to make infinate lengths.

Any help would be greatfull I understand they use this a lot in exhibition work / photography

The bases you're referring to are generally called 'tank traps'.

The system as a whole is called "pipe and drape" - if you stick that into the search box above (keep the quotation marks) you should find a fair bit of info.

Hi Dean;

I too had to baby-sit a Fayre yesterday and the frames you describe suggest to me the very lightweight ones in a carry-bag and with a small "transformer/control box" for the LED's. The pair yesterday were about 2.4m tall and extendable to around 12m and I believe they come as a complete kit.

If these are what you are looking for then try your local wedding chair cover/table linen companies. We wouldn't use them as they are too flimsy and would get trashed pretty swiftly. Seano is more along the lines of what we would use if we had to, because pipe and drape can handle heavier weight drapes and more robust (sledgehammer-wielding-tent-men) handling. On the very rare occasions we might use it we would most likely hire it in which has so far only happened once, and then in a circus big top.

If you are looking for the starcloth in white to use as drapes/linings etc. then Custom Covers http://www.customcovers.co.uk/starlight_lining.html or similar is what we use. These are attached to the tent and, unlike the ones I think you described, don't fall over all the time!

Also look at Manfrotto Autopoles (032) and base (032base) add some crossbar accessories. Too big and it turns into a sail.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfro...=39&child=5

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfro...ffonce/pid/2896

Watch the low SWL but love the low weight to carry! They are especially good where you canuse the pole up to a cieling

Hi thanks for all the replies ill check out that last link when im back on my desktop

Is there a brand that seems to be the best ie a pipe and drape equivilant to power drive or doughty

Regard

Dean

Hi thanks for all the replies ill check out that last link when im back on my desktop

Is there a brand that seems to be the best ie a pipe and drape equivilant to power drive or doughty

Regard

Dean

Can Anybody help?, Now I know what it's called just need to get the best value for my money as a lot of these sites don't show quality in the small pics need some advice. what's the best make in your opinion ?

Regard

Dean

Can Anybody help?, Now I know what it's called just need to get the best value for my money as a lot of these sites don't show quality in the small pics need some advice. what's the best make in your opinion ?

Can Anybody help with a decent brand name ?

Dean;

If you do what Seano suggested and put "pipe and drape" in the box at the top of the page and hit "search the blue room" you'll get what you want.

Hi Kerry I did that thanks I know what I'm looking for I just wanted to know from people who use this on a daily basis what is a good make

as I need to order a fair bit of it and I didn't want to waste my money by buying something that looks good on paper but in reality is not that stable etc

any help would be much appreciated.

Archived