New Multimeter

TomLyall

'Evening all...

I'm looking to buy a new multimeter, I dont really need anything fancy. I'm not looking to spend a great amount, but I will stretch the budget if need be.

Does anyone have any recomendations as to which multimeters are good and the best places to buy them from? Also if you know any with any fancy features you really find useful :angry:

Thanks in advance

Sorry for being a thread stealer but I was just about to ask a very similar question...

My multimeter has lost both of it's leads, so I was wondering if it's possible to buy new ones at all? If not I might just splash out on a new fancy one but at least a couple of new leads will tide me over til I can afford a nice new one.

Attached a piccy below to show the connectors on my old one - I believe they might be called Shroud connectors? Might be wrong here...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v153/spikejrt/th_P1010009.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Stu

Guest lightnix

Ditto Fluke. I bought my Fluke 77 in about 1992, it's been kicked around Europe more than once, is still going strong and I've only ever changed the battery twice.

Buy one, you'll never need another.

It might even be worth considering a clamp meter, depending on what you do. These nomally have most of the useful features of a multimeter allong with AC amps without breaking the circuit.

I've recently bought a Fluke 110 that Rob mentioned, and it seems a well speced meter for the money, certainly one of the cheaper True RMS ones. I'm hoping that it should last me a good few years

Yet another vote for Fluke...it will last you forever!

However right at the other end of the spectrum, I was in my local Maplins the other day and they had a totally basic multimeter for £4.99. It will NEVER replace my fluke, but for the money I bought one as a "toss in the case and not worry if it gets stolen" meter for get ins, etc.

Bob

I was in my local Maplins the other day and they had a totally basic multimeter for £4.99.  It will NEVER replace my fluke, but for the money I bought one as a "toss in the case and not worry if it gets stolen" meter for get ins, etc.

Bob

They also sometimes do buy one get one free on the £4.99 multimeters! Great for those of us who don't need a decent one to have one at home and one in the toolbox.

PN

Yes I know the ones PN, I got four the last time they were on offer, they're useful for some things, we've got one in the car, one in the shed, my dads got one in his toolbox and I've got one, but my leads have broken and I want a nice one anyway...

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect a very dead thread but I didnt see the point in starting a new one!

I'm after a new (although reconditioned and recalibrated would be ok) multi meter. Is just for general tech stuff (I do bits of everything). My budgets £100,I know I want a fluke!But a model and supplier would help

I'd also like a clamp meter again only simple one but ideally one that measures current.

Cheers all

Fluke all the way, try City Electrical Factors for friendly advice and decent prices on the stuff too :) I've always had a fluke, but it's always said "British Telecom" on it too - they replace them periodically and the engineers get to keep the old ones (and give them to their son/brother) :)

Archived