BA vs BSC

sessiondrummer

Hi everyone.

I have lately had some very interesting discussions with other people about who you would hire to work for you.

Say for instance you had a position open for a lighting designer or a lighting technician.

If you had two fresh from university candidates, but both with different degrees who would you be more likely to hire.

The BA course offers a lot more designing and artistic skill where as the BSC is going to be very technical (a wide knowledge of lighting technologies etc).

I am I right in saying that the usual deductions apply in that the BA student always get the designing job???

what if the BSC student shows great designing potential and skill??

I know the interview plays a big part but just thought I would see what the general consensus is.

Different industry, but I wouldn't use the qualifications alone to decide between the two. Both are simply tools that open doors to the interview. Once you get to the interview stage, the nature of the qualifications are to a certain extent irrelevent.

As I've probably said before, I personally place no weight in any current academic qualification, instead replying on experience and personality alone to rate someone. If I was looking for a lighting designer I would definitely select someone with relevant experience - having a qualification without any experience in this role is just a no-no. For a technician role you can bring in someone with very little experience and train them up - unless you need someone that can hit the ground running. In that case, experience counts once again.

Steve

If it was me, I'd hire a person rather than a piece of paper with the title of a degree on it. The person who got the job would be the person who showed themselves to be the most capable and appropriate applicant, regardless of what their degree certificate said.

I don't think you can automatically attribute a skill set to just a BA or BSc anyway. I have a BA and it was very technical - I think the syllabus of the course would have a lot more to do with the skills than whether it's considered an art or science.

I suppose I have had a similar experience:

Back in the 80's I applied for the technical training course via Thames Television. Did the practical tests and oral examinations fine but the end decision to decide between 2 potential candidates (myself and another guy) was decided by a cross section of mostly non-technical people in the industry. They went for the guy because he had had a degree in History(!), whereas I only had a lowly Diploma from SAE and a batch of high O Level results plus paid experience in a recording studio and live work.

After 6 weeks of training the guy decided the job and outcome was not for him and left. The post was never filled again much to the chagrin of the Head of Sound who said the right candidate was staring them in the face at the interviews.

I was somewhat peeved too! :D

I have a BA Degree in lighting design but I would say I am more technical thinking I think I am better working as a technician or on the more technical side of things, I think the name of the place I did my course and the course gets peoples attention but I think its more down to the experience you have and the interview that lands you the place.

Archived