Dimmers and Desks

Zulu

I have a 24 channel DMX lighting Desk (Zero 88 Alcora) and 4 x 6 channel dimmers (Strand 6). I'm always running out of channels, and we have no budget at present for a proper expansion.

Can I procure / make a gismo which would allow switching during a perforamance, effectively using some channels to control different lanterns at different parts of the show.

The dimmers are located stage-side, me and the desk are at the back of the auditorium.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Zulu

I've known people employed where doing this has been most of there job description, I'm not aware of anyone making a device to do this for you electronically; such a device would land up costing almost as much as the dimmers it saved, if not more.

If you do you use people for it, careful labelling is the key.

Generally, I try and avoid cross-patching during a show, although sometimes it's unavoidable. Cunning planning of your cues and the patch would hopefully ensure that you only need to crosspatch in the interval, but as I said, sometimes a 'skilled patching operative' is the only way to get it done.

Cheers

Paul

What you need is a bit of 5 ply, couple of foot by a foot, and screw onto it switched 15A sockets in clusters of four. Each cluster of sockets goes to a cable with a 15A plug on the end. Label them up, each cluster is a letter and then the sockets in a cluster a numbered. Thats the mechanical bit done. You need to plant this panel somewhere near a person on comms who has a free time available.

Sit down with your lighting plot and script and work out when you dont need lamps at the same time. Specials are the place to start. Then on the plot write the socket label (eg B2) rather than the old channel number. Mark up script so that patch changes are noted in advance of when they're needed and when the crew action is quiet. At appropriate moment call for the patch change: "John, patch A3 please". John responds "A1 off, A3 on".

I did this all the time back in my 12 and 18 channel days on two preset desks, and it worked a treat; the plank had two clusters of four and one of five sockets, and I'd often only have a socket or two unused...

(Just train your operative that the order is off then on and to check that all the sockets of a cluster are off before turning any one on!)

Some community theatres have got hold of second hand relay switching units so one dimmer can be switched to multiple lights, usually with lever keys. It is easier nowadays to buy second hand dimmers than use this method.

Another way is to use multiple ganges gpo's or power points with switches instead of a power board that does not have switches. This eliminates the risk of loosing track of which plug goes in where, as they just turn swicth 1 off and switch 2 on for the next patching cue. This has picked up the term "Kambrooking" after a cheap brand of four way switched power board. Similar method to DBUCKLEY. I usually use twin switched gpo's as they are easy to come across second hand in out throw away society.

Here is a quick google for a UK version

Thanks, folks. Some great responses. Something like dbuckleys plan sounds quite feasible.

Great forum, this !!

cheers, Zulu.http://www.blue-room.org.uk/style_images/3/folder_post_icons/icon1.gif

Archived