LED Pars

Brady

We are looking at purchasing some LED pars for our college theatre. I was wondering if anybody had an opinion on which to use and which to stay away from.

We would obviously like to keep the budget as low as possible. So where looking for cheap fixtures with a good quality of light. We would be greatful for any help.

It's worth having a think about what you really want out of the fixtures. Do you need good colour mixing or will you mostly use them for quite bold colours and don't really need to be tweaking them much? Also, how big is your space? How many do you think you will need? Will you have other lanterns on at the same time or do these need to solely light your stage. I recently borrowed a Eurolite Par. It was ok but the colour mixing was quite poor. The light output wasn't that good but I think it only cost about £40 to buy new. However, if I was looking for something to use as blinders, these would probably do.

Pulsar have a good range, I used some floods recently that were fantastic - excellent light output, brilliant colour mixing. Why are you going for pars and not floods? What is the purpose of your light? If you have more of an idea of this, I think it will help your search.

Hope this helps!

Emma.

Unless you're on a very tight budget and can only stretch as far as the Stairville/Showtec types linked above, I would try to steer clear of 5mm LEDS. I have 4 of the earlier Showtec PAR56 with 153 5mm LEDS and you would be dissapointed. I doubt 5mm LED technology has really changed much in the last 4-5 years.

Try to go for 10mm LEDS or ideally 1w or even 3w, there are some far-east budget fixtures out there using these brighter LEDs that may well be ideal for what you're after.

5mm very bright but only over a short distance, 10mm not as bright at the start, but do cast more distance. So if you are uplighting a wall, 5mm will work, 10mm for a small stage. I upgraded to 1watt LEDs and they are really good, but 3 watt are the mutts nutts, but V V exspensive. Also a Par 64 LED has more lights in so a bigger light at the light, but not always in shaft. My advice is go into at least 3 different outlets. Each will try and sell you a different light, all depends on the deal they are getting. Be a pain in the ass and ask for a demo of ALL the LED lights they have. Then buy them online cheaper, after trading tghem off against each other, what a laugh

My advice is go into at least 3 different outlets. Each will try and sell you a different light, all depends on the deal they are getting. Be a pain in the ass and ask for a demo of ALL the LED lights they have. Then buy them online cheaper, after trading tghem off against each other, what a laugh

Not wishing to be disrespectful or pick a fight, but it really is no surprise that local suppliers are struggling when attitudes like this are widespread. Suppliers that have demo facilities and a wide range charge more because they provide services like this - and they're there when you want to go back and ask for help and advice later. Which I think is worth paying for. Don't they deserve a bit more respect?

Guest lightnix
...LED pars... I was wondering if anybody had an opinion...

Yes - especially here :unsure:

...Be a pain in the ass and ask for a demo of ALL the LED lights they have. Then buy them online cheaper, after trading tghem off against each other, what a laugh
Not wishing to be disrespectful or pick a fight, but it really is no surprise that local suppliers are struggling when attitudes like this are widespread... Don't they deserve a bit more respect?

Apparently not ;)

My advice is go into at least 3 different outlets. Each will try and sell you a different light, all depends on the deal they are getting. Be a pain in the ass and ask for a demo of ALL the LED lights they have. Then buy them online cheaper, after trading tghem off against each other, what a laugh

so many retailers are disapearing because of people like you. You are happy to use their local service, their demo rooms, their expert knowledge and drink their tea, but you arent willing to pay for it? My dad runs a retail outlet and even matches internet prices (although the prices are usually spot on already), the amount of times we find out customers have spent hours getting demo's, picking his brain for advice and eating his biscuits, yet they find it for £5 less online and buy it. This is why many guitar shops now charge for Demo's (refundable if you make a purchase), perhaps DJ shops should too?

perhaps DJ shops should too?
IIRC, some companies/disco shops, now only offer free demo's to known clients.

Be a pain in the ass and ask for a demo of ALL the LED lights they have. Then buy them online cheaper, after trading them off against each other, what a laugh
I suspect if any of them are reading this topic they'll be the ones laughing next time you darken their doorsteps! Its a small world...

With regards to LED cans, be sure to check out the topic Lightnix linked to, its well worth a read! As others have said, go for 10mm LED's or 1w/3w if possible. Seemingly the best deal going currently is IMO, the thomann brand or eurolite 10mm cans.. Not the brightest but plenty usable and at a very reasonable price (on average).

Good luck.. T

Sorry if I have upset anyone. I shall rephrase that. I always check online to see if the local dealers are price fixing and charging way more than others with a web site.

Its amazing what bargins you can pick up if you just ask. As some of you have said before they all need to make a living and I for one can understand that ( I run my own electrical installation company ), but I have found some places charging 30% more than others. I very much doubt if any wholesale company would reject my business, but they know I am no mug.

Really??? That's a pretty bold and downright rude statement. I'm not going to let someone totally rip off one of my clients (I've got a big problem if someone's charging twice the going rate for something), but I'm also not going to use and abuse the local dealers! I'm going to be asking for a demo of some stuff for an upcoming project, but with the intent of buying from that company if we find a suitable solution. I very likely will solicit another bid on the project, but only as a CYA. Assuming they are within reason I'll be going with the company that put in the elbow grease. On the other hand I've had companies give me quotes for ridiculous prices after I've spent time working with them-- in that case I would go elsewhere (50% purchase price for a rental is not right!) because I'd be screwing my clients if I didn't.

Archived