Copper Crimps

Blaize110

Not 100% theatre related but perhaps you can help me.

My cadet contingent signals section uses copper sleeves to join together wires when they break. These are about 1" long, are a copper colour and have a plastic sleeve in the middle (not sure if it goes all the way thorugh or just at the ends.) And possibly another thinner copper tube in the middle although I cant remember off hand. You feed the wires in either end and use a compression tool to crimp the sleeve and trap the wires in the sleeve.

However we are running low and need some this weekend. I was wondering if such things were used for non-military purposes and therefore if anyone knew where I might be able to aquire some.

Thanks in advance

Rory

Searching my dusty signals notes, the reference only to their name I have is 'Hellerman crimps' (though... that's about as specific as calling a cod... a fish.)

Don't forget about the middle plastic layer, apparently making it 'waterproof'

At such short notice you're probably going to have to get something similar and make do (and then sack your QM for not keeping his stores stocked!) ;)

Simon

The middle layer isnt too much of an issue as it is an instructional weekend and it is mainly for the cadets to practice with. Any real repairs can be done with the ones we still have left.

Will get some from Screwfix tomorrow and give them a go.

Searching my dusty signals notes, the reference only to their name I have is 'Hellerman crimps' (though... that's about as specific as calling a cod... a fish.)

Don't forget about the middle plastic layer, apparently making it 'waterproof'

At such short notice you're probably going to have to get something similar and make do (and then sack your QM for not keeping his stores stocked!) ;)

Simon

Hellerman have dropped a lot of the crimp range in favor of new push on connectors, you can get conventional red, blue and yellow butt splices for 1.5mm2, 2.5mm2 & 4mm2 wire size respectively from any electrical wholesaler for about £3 + VAT for 100, the red ones work perfectly in the old Hellerman one size crimpers that form a hexagonal crimp

Locate your friendly local BT engineer and steal some from him. The crimps you describe are similar to ones used to join "Open Copper" overhead wires many years ago. There are now a whole range of gel-filled crimps that are in use.

When I first joined PO Telephones ALL the kit was the same as the military and even the nomenclature was still military Victorian; "Screwdriver No 3A, insulated, termination for the use of". Drove me crazy.

"Screwdriver No 3A, insulated, termination for the use of". Drove me crazy.

Oh so true! I should really have said that the crimps were used with "Tools Compression". Really doesnt help teaching new material if you have to decipher it first :P

Locate your friendly local BT engineer and steal some from him. The crimps you describe are similar to ones used to join "Open Copper" overhead wires many years ago. There are now a whole range of gel-filled crimps that are in use.

When I first joined PO Telephones ALL the kit was the same as the military and even the nomenclature was still military Victorian; "Screwdriver No 3A, insulated, termination for the use of". Drove me crazy.

I still have a pair of '81's!, 1954 vintage ..........

Archived