Light factory?

Rich.grad

Hi, I'm looking at buying Light factory to run the productions and small gigs I light, and was wondering what peoples experience was with it?

Is it something I should get or is there something else out there which is better?

Cheers

I played with it for a short while mainly due to selecon given me 1 or 2 36 channel licenses but couldn't really get on with it. In the end I gave up and stuck with chamsys magic q which has the advantage of the software being free and almost fully operational and works with cheap hardware.I liked it so much I broke open the wallet and bough a fader wing and touch screen pc which makes a good product almost excellent.

I initially used the Light Factory basic version that came with my ENTTEC Pro dongle a few years ago and found it quite easy to use. After 15 minutes reading the manual I was happy assigning fixtures and programming cues and it worked for what I needed at the time. When I started doing more with moving lights I needed access to more channels and couldn't justify paying for a full universe of Light Factory so I switched over to FreeStyler (free download) but more recently I've been using the Chamsys MagicQ PC software (also free).

I am aware that Light Factory has advanced a lot since I last used it and I can't comment on the recent versions but I have been impressed with the visualisation add on (Capture Polar) when I've seen it at PLASA.

At the National Student Drama festival I had a good play with the software, I found it very user friendly! Due to the fact that it is software it is completely customizable, you can create your own control screens- great for any architectural instillations.

You can use it in a way that is similar to the 'real' desk that you are used to because you can easily have 'masters' 'pallets', and you can also use the control syntax to call up fixtures or again even masters or pallets. Another good thing about this software is once you have the basic package you can build upon it, for example you can start of with no wings and one universe, and then upgrade to up to (from memory) 64 universes and you can add multiple wings and even touch screens.

I am also debating getting the single universe packing of Light Factory, however have not yet managed to find the funds!

Ant

I'm not intending to buy Light Factory. I think you missed my point. I know how much Light Factory is, I was just making the point that MagicQ is cheaper to get up and running. The £275 for a single universe license does not even include a USB DMX interface. That costs an extra £55. Then you need another £500 for a wing, making a single universe/single wing version of light factory cost about £830. A similar MagicQ system would cost around £600 for a single wing with a single built-in DMX output, and you still have the option of using ArtNet for more universes without paying any extra.

Thanks for the help, I tried to get the MagicQ but it wouldn't install on my laptop or my comp, so have no idea why.

I have just bought 1 universe package of Light Factory I know its expensive, but it does the job great and I know how to use it.

Rich,

I am a LightFactory user, and would definitely recommend it.

There is an excellent support group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lightfactory_software if you have looked at the software and want to discuss anything.

If you search the forum you will also find that software and interfaces has been discussed a number of times, there is also some information in the Wiki that might be worth a look!

I am hoping that andrewb wont mind me quoting his comments from a previous thread, as it sums up IMHO what sets LightFactory apart

My reasoning is that most (note I said 'most') of the other software packages try to emulate a console. While they are definetely pretty they are not practical at all. It's simple really, you don't use a mouse to operate a desk console so why would it be practical to try to run an emulated version on a PC (or Mac).

What set LightFactory apart is the fact that it doesn't try to mimic a console but instead tries to offer a very intuitive interface for a mouse (or touchscreen).

The pricing point with MagicQ; look you are getting the software for free!

For the price, LightFactory is incredibly good value for money.

The hardware pricing between buying a MagicQ wing with DMX output, and a LightFactory Wing and Enttec USB is reasonably similar.

The bottom line, is you need to be comfortable with the software you want to use.

Download the software, have a look for what suits you and the way you want to use it.

I'll also echo, decide on the software before you buy any output hardware!

HTH,

Paul

What set LightFactory apart is the fact that it doesn't try to mimic a console but instead tries to offer a very intuitive interface for a mouse (or touchscreen). Andrew_B.

The pricing point with MagicQ; look you are getting the software for free!

For the price, LightFactory is incredibly good value for money.

The hardware pricing between buying a MagicQ wing with DMX output, and a LightFactory Wing and Enttec USB is reasonably similar.

I do agree with the whole qoute, although I have extracted only part of it! I am using extensively LightFactory, and partly MagicQ, so I am familiar with both. Different ways of thinking.

What I like best with LF is that it is easy to get into and get something working, even for a beginner. Or for an "alzheimer" person that seldom uses the application ;-).

What I would like to point out is that if you get hold of a DMX dongle for the input universe *) of LF, you can also connect a cheap DMX desk as submasters wing.

If I had little money, I would prefer as a start to buy LF + 2 Enttec USB (1 in/1 out) + cheap DMX-desk. And rather use mouse to start cues, fx playbacks and do shortcuts. Or better, got a touchscreen. But of cource, the best is to get a playback wing.

Regards Kåre Olai

*) I presume you get the input universe "included" when you buy at least 1 output universe license...

I have been using LightFactory on and off for the past couple of years, with both movers and generics and have found it great! really easy to use and layout as you like. However after hearing about MagicQ I decided to give it ago the other day but found it incredibly awkward after being used to light factory and gave up after a few minutes, although I guess if I spent a bit longer with it - and perhaps a manual - my thoughts about it may change...

I on the other hand have tried both and find MagicQ much friendlier to use than Light Factory. I strongly suggest you use it in anger on a show before you give up on it. Read the manual, have a look at the On Stage Lighting MagicQ tutorials and then work your way through it in your own time.

I did and I like it.

Josh

Is lightfactory V2.1 fully compatable with Vista (32bit home premium)?

I have 1.4.1.29 which came with a 12hr runtime on a CD with the Enttec Open DMX dongle, I tried it out but it decided to put all outputs to full and stay there until I cleared the current show. I ended up using Abeulites to run the show which when the lighting levels were changed seemed a bit jerky, no where near as nice as lightfactory when it worked properly.

Also, is the 10% discount for Blue Room members still active? http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=30027

Archived