250W or 575W moving head?

mrcog

Hi all,

Basically ive got a show coming up and the director wants moving heads and yes, they will compliment the show, its not just a case of shoving some toys up in the rig (well it kinda is but thats besides the point).

However, at the moment we are getting in 4, 250W washes either from robe or Qmaxz. However, I'm not convinced that they are going to be able to cut through the generics wash thats going up. The generic wash is going to consist of around 16, 650W profiles, around 16, 650W quartets and possibly 8 Par 64's with 500W lamps.

The worry I've got at the moment is the 4 washes arnt going to have enough output to be able to punch colour through the generic rig? If the general consesus is that it wouldnt cut through the rig then do you think it would be more adviseable to upgrade to 575W washes, or increase the number too 6 washes?

Sorry for the pretty basic question but I want to get the show right.

Many thanks,

James

250w movers (ie, discharge lamps) will easily keep up with 650w tungsten sources, particularly the Quartets you mention. A few years ago I ran some original mac 250s against some 1kW P64s and it was fine. In my experience I find a discharge source to be roughly 4x brighter than an equivalent tungsten source.

If the price difference between the 250s and the 575s isn't that great, then I would go for the 575s.. At the end of the day the 250w washes will cut through it, but as Paul says, as soon as you put colours in you will lose the brightness but with 575s they should be absolutely fine with any colour!

It completely depends on what you want to use the movers for colour wise etc...

I would stick to the 250w unit - they are not as heavy, therefore easier to rig and you will not notice any difference in brightness unless you have a mixture of 575 and 250 units in the rig.

They will certainly cut through the quartet rig and you will probably fine you'll be only using them at full level for the heavier colours as they may be too bright for some scenes <_<)

Thankyou everyone for your advice. I think, following most peoples suggestions and go with the 250's, however I'll consult with those with the money and try and push for 6 fixtures.

Thanks everyone for your advice and I'll make sure to take pictures for your criticisms! :band:

Many thanks,

James

Archived