Feedback and eq

pgpro2

Hi,

I am installing a bose 802 system in a church. I also have a feedback destroyer unit that in the past has proved very useful. My question is this. Should I place the feedback destroyer before or after the bose controller?

If I go from the desk to the feedback destroyer, and then to the controller, will the controller "undo" the work done by the feedback destroyer?

On the flip side, If I go from the desk to the controller, and then to the feedback destroyer, will the feedback destroyer "undo the work done by the controller?

Alternatively, would I be better placing the feedback destroyer in an aux send/return, thus letting the controller do its thing, and selecting which channels I want the feedback destroyer on?

Your help is much appreciated

Phil

It doesn't really matter whether it's before or after, but I'd put the feedback destroyer in line between the desk and the bose controller. It's analysing the signal coming through it, which has come through the bose controller anyway so it should automatically compensate for anything the bose controller has done.

Tim

Step 1. Put the feed back destroyer before the 802 controller so that it deals with whatever troublesome frequencies there may be in the proportions that they actually occur ie: not boosted by the huge LF and HF boost that the controller has.

Step 2. Get rid of the 802's and replace with a speaker system designed this century and you won't need an 802 controller or a feed back destroyer.

Whether you like them or not isn't quite as relevant as you might hope. I'd get a big box and put the 802's and the controller in it aswell but the OP wishes to use them all. So, before the controller, but it's much better if you know exactly how to use the feedback destroyer to get the best results. If you don't know how to use it then the chances are that you'll be better off without it.

Step 2. Get rid of the 802's and replace with a speaker system designed this century and you won't need an 802 controller or a feed back destroyer.

Haha! That's the best advice :band::

But yeah, before the controller as most people have said :-)

I was a happy 802 user for years, and for systems where you didn't want loads of bass, then I rather liked the sound. The Marmite comparison is pretty fair - you either like them or hate them. I never quite understand what the fuss is with the controller - there are quite a few well accepted brands that have a controller as part of the 'system'.

I also think this trend of slagging off the gear of new posters is in pretty bad taste, and certainly unhelpful and redundant. I've been to gigs where 802s have been used and been perfectly happy with the sound, I've also been to ones where it was abominable. My EAW system requires a controller, anyone want to rant about that?

The blue room forum can be a very helpful place, and I thank you for the members who have actually helped with my question about my PA setup. The advice has been useful.

The blue room forum can also be a very unhelpful place.

It is really dissappointing that I use a forum for advice, and get back a whole load of abuse about my equipment.

I use BOSE equipment, and I needed some advice on how to set it up.

Advice telling me that that I should put it all in a box and buy new equipment is totally useless, disrespectful, and rather un-professional.

I know that most audio folk have an opinion on whether BOSE equipment is good or bad - I also have opinions to this end.... When the original post asks for this opinion then feel free to have a laugh at the op's expense, otherwise please stick with answering the question.

I would ask the moderator of this forum to take this seriously.

Thanks once again for those who have used this forum to help

Phil

Phil,

You raise a good point - that there are disproportionate responses to specific pieces of audio gear - Bose being one of the key examples.

Some have an objection to the marketing approach that Bose takes, others were miffed by their decision as to how professional products would be sold in this country. However, the 802 (with all its good and bad points) was a staple of the conference PA rental market for years, and introduced a host of innovations. Their UK technical staff are extremely knowledgeable, helpful and have an interesting range of products on offer.

Audio bigotry apart, the problem that many had with the controller was the rather hefty, broad HF boost (~ 19dB at 11kHz) and a similar boost at LF (14dB at 60Hz) it applied. Also, more recent understanding of interdriver interaction led to the belief that the coverage was not as even as might be desired.

None of this really is an issue for you - you have the boxes and you need them to work optimally. I would fit the controller next to the amp, and use my feedback control (dedicated feedback unit, graphic eq, whatever) at front of house.

Happy mixing !

Simon

In defence of myself - I was not dissing the Bose, not that I am a fan. but I am suggesting that the use of a feedback eliminator is not always a good idea and is certainly not in general practice.

Advice telling me that that I should put it all in a box and buy new equipment is totally useless, disrespectful, and rather un-professional.

Sorry, I think you are overreacting to the standard industry response to Bose, cheer up.

I guess the success of the BR is one of the reasons, we tend to get waspy from time to time. I usually ignore things I don't like. For info, the mods don't zap some content, when perhaps we'd like to because although maybe the tone is a bit off, what's posted isn't against the rules - so , generally we do expect people to take it on the chin, and forget it.

Back to topic - although I'm a pro-Bose sound member, I hate feedback eliminators. Not because the don't work - they do! But because left to do their own thing, they have to let feedback happen, to find and notch it out. Used during soundcheck, then they can be useful, but far too many people just leave them on auto and assume they'll do the job!

Archived