Driver advice

maseaudio

Hi all,

Im new to posting on this forum but have browsed around for a long time and learnt a lot!

Im trying to renovate a couple of old cabs I have spare in my garage, thought I may aswell get some use out of them.

They were smartsound direct 15" cabs but I lent them to a friend and they came back with the crossovers melted and all drivers totally destroyed. he was not the most popular man in my books beleave me!

so.....

Can anyone reccomend a 15" driver and HF driver/horn for these?? also the crossover id need for the components?

I think they were origionally loaded with emminence delta but I could be wrong.

any suggestions would be much appreciated as id like to get them back into use.

You will not improve the quality by putting in other drivers unless the original ones were really bad -though some really are!

FIRST check the price of a complete pair of speakers then look at the cost of the four drivers and two crossovers needed. You may be making a pair of old boxes into a pair of tatty speakers, which may work, but not reflect well on your company.

So, to anser your recomendation question, and as a suggestion to move it along from where the box's were to an inprovement in sound quality. why not try looking at some of the drivers that pro-box manufactures use, take a look at the B&C or Beyma web sites, there some great drivers in there. I do know that Beyma do a range of high power quality crossovers that are pretty unburstable.

The eminence delta is a pretty good speaker for this box so you won't gain a significant improvement by replacing it with a better/more expensive speaker. The top end should benefit by changing from their original specs but this might prove an expensive way of ending up with a pair of smartsound 15" cabinets

I was planning on improving the quality of theese boxes. Would it be more cost effective just to scrap them and buy a new set?

Depends on what it costs to repair against the cost of the boxes to you. If the units weren't too well built to start with, and restoring them to their formert glory means only mediocre sound at bets, then why not start afresh?

If you want to learn about speaker building etc, feel free to try and repair or replace. In fact I know of some Beyma parts that might fit the bill... (PM sent!)

Hi all,

Im new to posting on this forum but have browsed around for a long time and learnt a lot!

Im trying to renovate a couple of old cabs I have spare in my garage, thought I may aswell get some use out of them.

They were smartsound direct 15" cabs but I lent them to a friend and they came back with the crossovers melted and all drivers totally destroyed. he was not the most popular man in my books beleave me!

so.....

Can anyone reccomend a 15" driver and HF driver/horn for these?? also the crossover id need for the components?

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Hi all,

so.....

Hello, im brand new here,the smartsound cabs you're got there was built by shermann audio for smartsound,you can contact Ken there for any spears you may need.or I have a pair still in the boxes with the orignal covers.I'll let them go for the right money.

Hey there - who's telling folk porkies?

Ok, we did build a few boxes for Smartsound but I believe the majority were built for them by

someone else - possibly Carlsboro; but I could be wrong.

Give us a shout if you're stuck - we may be able to help you.

Archived