Get out procedure

Philyus

Hi forum.

Just wanted to throw something out there.

On a get out stripping trusses with cable etc do you just rip all the cable off the truss, dump it on the floor then go back along picking them all up and coiling or do you coil as you de-rig and stick them on a box or put them in a central pile??

Just a little pet hate of mine and wondered if anyone had the same feelings.

Phil

Depends on the situation. On a tour you would coil the cables into the cases as the truss comes in as it should be loomed. If its all seperate cables put on by different departments during the rig (thinking of one off events) then you would be better off stripping the truss and sorting out the mess on the floor so the riggers can get on with their job of clearing it out of the way. This situation would happen in anycase because as soon as you try to get your cable free you'll find somebody has already managed to get a cable wrapped up in it.

For us, it depends on time.

If your rigger is on minimum call (4 hour) and doing a nice, orderly strip of the bars will extend the call, then the process is case, strip, drop, coil. If there is a rigger on for minimum call and there is a single truss line, nice and orderly, cleaning the bars, coiling as you strip to avoid cable-soup is our prefered method.

we generally have a 2 person system. one derigs the cables and throws them in a pile, the other grabs cables from the pile and coils them, with the other person joining in with the coiling once the stage is clear of cables. can generally have a stage clear in 5 - 10 mins with this method.

I can't actually remember what I do, I think it's the dump on the floor technique.

However the one house rule I insist on is that if there is more than one person coiling you always start coiling from the socket end. That way you never get two people not realising they are coiling the same cable!

can generally have a stage clear in 5 - 10 mins with this method.
5 to 10 minutes on any stage, so not just your school one, correct?... wow and there's us some how taking hours to get the rig down in the trucks.. :** laughs out loud **:

Personally I prefer either gear off first, then strip cables (No faffing about trying to coil a cable only to find its still got something attached to it) or if theres enough crew, everyone start on each truss/bar by unplugging then some strip gear and others pull off the multi's/cables..

I've actually had to think about this.. Can't say its something I've really thought about before, often its just 'happened' in one way or another!

T

It rather depends on how it went up.

If cables were loomed/laid out before they went up, then it'd be drop then coil. If they went on the truss/bar as they were needed then they come off in reverse order.

If kit went on before cable then cable comes off first, if cable went on first then kit comes off first.

To summarise, get out procedure is the opposite of get in procedure!

Why? Money. Appearence. Logistics. Politics.

You may need to get all fixtures off of the truss quickly because they go into the truck first, or maybe you need the rigging components all ripped out and into the truck so that they can be driven to the next gig site to allow them to set up and cables may be in the last truck.

Or maybe you are in a corporate venue who insist that truss is to be stripped from working height quickly at the end of a gig so that their staff can begin to set for the next event

Or maybe you are one of those people who uses the end of gig cable coil as a relaxation technique after a hectic derig.

You may need to get all fixtures off of the truss quickly because they go into the truck first, or maybe you need the rigging components all ripped out and into the truck so that they can be driven to the next gig site to allow them to set up and cables may be in the last truck.

Or maybe you are in a corporate venue who insist that truss is to be stripped from working height quickly at the end of a gig so that their staff can begin to set for the next event

Or maybe you are one of those people who uses the end of gig cable coil as a relaxation technique after a hectic derig.

I'd agree that #1 or #2 may well apply BUT I can't see how in heck #3 can be a relaxathon when the chances are the cables are in a massive tangled heap on the deck...!

:** laughs out loud **:

I'm sure it would be lovely to be in a position to bimble about stripping each indvidual cable, coil it and place it carefully in ones plastic crate, without 30 local crew, 3 riggers, the sound department and a cherry picker all hassling you. But it doesn't work like that. If you don't get it off the truss, someone else will so it might as well be carefully pulled off to a nice line on the deck (nice, straight and ready to be coiled up) and not end up in a mess.

Surely, unless you are the kind of person that individually tapes each cable on top of the 20 others, stripping them one at a time lasts about as long as the first bit of tape. On most gigs, breaking the four strategically place taped wraps frees up the whole lot anyway whereby it a quick flick and the whole lot is off. Also, if dropping the cable bundle on the floor results in cable soup, then someone should look at the installation techniques used and the cable choices made by those coiling. Cable soup is a human generated product.

Still, if you really want to slow the riggers down you can try the technique that no less than three "professional" local crew pulled on me within the space of half a hour - strip out the motor cables :** laughs out loud **:

can generally have a stage clear in 5 - 10 mins with this method.
5 to 10 minutes on any stage, so not just your school one, correct?... wow and there's us some how taking hours to get the rig down in the trucks.. :** laughs out loud **:

not my school one, since I've been out of school for 5 years or so now... talking live music setup, at a nightclub, it is a small setup compared to most theatrical ones, I grant you :)

Archived