Taping gels over desk lamps

dave1022

After using gels taped over bog standard desk lamps for a couple of years, I have now been told by school that this isn't safe (because nothing is meant to come within 50cm of the light bulb). Now I'm not disputing the judgement of my school, and I certainly won't be doing it again, but I was just wondering if anyone else does this? My local amateur theatre uses the same method to reduce the intensity of desk lamps at the control point, and I've always taped them in such a way that there is always room from the air to flow in and out of the lamp.

Also, can anyone suggest an alternative to taping gels onto lamps? I don't fancy the idea of having three desk lamps on their full brightness for the next drama production...

Regards,

David

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buy some prepainted lamps?

Buy some lower power lamps?

I'm afraid to say that I've not come across either of these before. I'm guessing prepainted lamps are basically coloured lamps, but I don't have a clue where I could buy them from.

And buy a dimmer?

Similarly I haven't come across this before either. I presume it's safe, but again I wouldn't know where to buy one.

Guest lightnix
...prepainted lamps?

...lower power lamps?

...I don't have a clue where I could buy them from.
And buy a dimmer?
...again I wouldn't know where to buy one.

Are you for real? :(

How about starting down at the local electrical shop?

And buy a dimmer?

Similarly I haven't come across this before either. I presume it's safe, but again I wouldn't know where to buy one.

Erm, what are you controlling your lights with then?

Painted lamps can be bought from most lamp selling shops, including good old wilkos

Use a bigger sheet of gel and then it will be the right distance away (although they've made this bit up themselves), and it'll have ventilation slots at the side too. Mind you, B&Q have a great range of coloured lamps. We use those, but I'd have to admit to a bit of 126 on the one in the lighting box at the moment.

Pygmy lamps are readily available in 15 watts, and can be obtained in still lower wattages.

Incandescent nightlight lamps of about 7 watts are still sold.

LED golfball lamps of 1 watt or so are readily available, in various colours.

3 watt CFLs are available, roughly equivalent to a 15 watt incandescent.

I dont think that gelling a desk lamp is that dangerous, but it might be better avoided as it is using the appliance other than as intended, unlike a theatre lantern which of course is intended to be used with gell.

...That's my stock of Floods out the window then :(! Your school do realise that gel is designed to withstand the temperature of lighting fixtures? I could understand them being worried about flammable materials, but in my opinion Gel is designed to melt / fade not to erupt into flames. Might be worth having a quiet word with your schools site manager / H&S representative?

Archived