Compressors

carty

I'm not trying to be rude, but how will you explain something that you aren't familiar with yourself? If you're not sure how to use them effectively you might be worth leaving them out of the equation, as just dialing them in by numbers is likely to either have no effect or quite possibly do more harm than good.

I'm not trying to be rude, but how will you explain something that you aren't familiar with yourself? If you're not sure how to use them effectively you might be worth leaving them out of the equation, as just dialing them in by numbers is likely to either have no effect or quite possibly do more harm than good.

Ben (the OP) is a student, according to his profile, so I'm guessing this is some form of seminar in which he has to research compressors and report back. In which case this is the old "we don't do your homework for you" situation, I'm afraid. Read the articles online, get a book from the library, talk to a sound engineer and get them to demonstrate one to you but please don't expect us to provide you with something you can print off and read to a seminar group! I relise this is your first post so you probably didn't know the rule and I can assure you we're alll nice people who will be happy to explain anything you might read and don't understand, but a more detailed question is required rather than a "tell me everything about xxx" which could easily be thought of (even if incorrectly) as us doing your work for you.

Look forward to answering good specific questions once you've put in the groundwork first.

JSB.

One other quick thought as I should be packing to leave a hotel room...

Some software (Adobe Audition and Yamaha digital mixers for two examples) have the option to give a graphical illustration of what your compressor is doing--basically a line showing that at a certain level the signal isn't being touched, at other levels it is being raised by x amount and at y level the signal is limited, never to go any hotter.

For many people, seeing this graph has been the "oh yeah!" moment, more effective than simple definitions of threshold, ratio and so on.

FYI, Audition has a 28 day free trial that could tie in with your lecture.

Bob

Audition has a 28 day free trial that could tie in with your lecture.

Bob

I'm told that Cool Edit Pro is the same as Audition, but is free forever. If this is not the case, you could see if Audacity (free forever) has the mentioned feature. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Cool Edit Pro was never free. Cool Edit 2000 was available as shareware but I don't think that it is available officially anymore.

I've just seen a photo of the Focusrite Liquid Mix which has a similar graph but I can't think of any other compressor plug-ins with a graphical representation of what is going on at the moment.

Cheers

James.

Archived