safety footwear

stoneworld

Full time crew can order them through the venue F.O.C, but the range is limited. casuals (and full time staff in lieu of free ones) are entitled up to £25 back upon presentation of the receipt and appropriate petty cash form. I don't know how often you can claim in a year, but realistically as a pair of shoes/boots wear out and are replaced no-one that I know of has been refused the rebate.

If you are a full time employee your employer is legally bound to provide you with all appropriate PPE without charge. If however you do not like what is provided and chose to buy your own I do not believe there is a legal right to recover any or part of the cost. I'm not sure where casual staff stand on this.

If you are a full time employee your employer is legally bound to provide you with all appropriate PPE without charge.

In my last job (where I had been for 15 years) before I went out on my own, they refused to supply or reimburse me as they decdided it was not a requirement no matter what they were told or shown. Actually most Places before that were the same. Despite risk assesments being done and things quoted they refused.

Several places (including my last one) even said "well if you say you need them thats up to you but you pay because we aint".

Comments

Steelies count as PPE - an employer is olbiged to provide them for an employee free of charge if they are necessary in the particular work environment. I'm currently breaking in a nice shiny new pair of DMs, having relegated the old ones to gardening duty ... :D

Yes your company should supply you with boots and any other safety equipment required to carry out your duties safely.

Any company that does not supply its full time workers with safety gear in this day and age is crazy. If some other employee drops a stageweight on your foot and breaks it, I am sure the company would be wishing they had spent £40 on a pair of boots for you. Not only do they lose a tech for a few weeks (which is bad enough) but there are 1001 companies just waiting to take up your case. So short sighted its untrue.

I think my old company would give you a £40 pair or give you £40 towards a pair if you wanted some nicer (more comfortable) ones

The get-out clause is: "no charge can be made to the worker for the provision of PPE which is used only at work" so unless you want to leave your boots there, get your own. Saying that, most responsible employers will make some allowance for and access to reasonably priced compliant PPE. If you want to claim that you are self-employed then there is a legal duty for you to provide your own PPE.

Just because you may be interested: in British Columbia, Canada, workers are required to provide their own suitable clothing, gloves, footwear and headwear. Other PPE remains the responsibility of the employer. That said, hardhats appear to be heavily subsidized here ($7-$12 if you shop around). Seems pretty sensible to me. Who wants to share that stuff? Not me...

thanks for your replies.

I have been offered boots and have in the past but it's the £40 limit per year that I think is a bit mean.

I know you can get some shoes for £12 but these shoes are going to be worn for 12 hours a day upwards!

even for £40 the options don't look great. I ordered a pair for I think £60-80 (it was so long ago now my feet have probably grown) that are light and I hope comfertable.

I was wondering what others spent on their boots and how much they got back for them?

I'm on my second pair of these. They are the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned, waterproof, breathable, and in addition to having steel toes they have a steel mid sole which is FANTASTIC when you're up and down ladders all day. I didn't realise quite how fantastic until I spent a day climbing ladders in trainers and went home with very sore feet.

My first pair lasted me just over two years (pretty much worn 24/7 365), and were still just about wearable even then, so that's about £40 per year...

Gareth

No way! since when did lowa start doing safety boots?

I wear a pair of taskforce boots most of the time and they are the most comfortable thing I have ever had! im on my 3rd pair now. they are so good I just keep going back and this is why I have a problem finding a good safety boot but if lowa make them too ..........

Archived