Safety Curtain jammed?

Will_Tech

Hello All

Yesterday I needed to lower a safety curtain that hadn't been lowered in two years so I pulled down on the lever and the curtain didn't budge. I went upto the fly floor and looked at the winding winch and tried to lower it from there and it still didn't move and the pull up cable was just slack. I had a look at the break and it was off but the curtain still didn't drop.

The curtain is around 80 years old and was working fine when last tested (two years ago :wall:). Its a counterweighted curtain with a hand wind up winch.

Anyone got any ideas about whats happend??

Will

Two years is an excessive time for a safety curtain to be static. TBH there are hundreds of reasons why it could be stuck, best to wait for the expert to have a look. In the meantime, make sure you've put the brake back on :wall:

Two years is an excessive time for a safety curtain to be static. TBH there are hundreds of reasons why it could be stuck, best to wait for the expert to have a look. In the meantime, make sure you've put the brake back on ;)

What he said. Especially the bit about the brake. Brake. BRAKE!

(Not the break, don't break the brake. Besides, your brake may already be broken.)

Sorry - bit of a pet hate.

Best of luck. :wall:

Edited to add...

Actually, there aren't really hundreds of reasons - it basically boils down to (hundreds of variations on) three possibilities.

• The curtain is stuck.
  • The counterweight is stuck.
  • The brake has seized on and isn't actually releasing.

Of these, the third is prolly the most likely. Which is handy, because its also prolly the easiest to fix.

Hi there,

Do get an expert to check it thoroughly. Goes without saying that gravity can be a cruel mistress......

If the thing is one of ours, give me a call - or mail me your contact details - and I can talk you through the checks and usual causes of problems like this.

Chas at Hall Stage.

Archived