Speaker Cable

JakeCTG

Providing you get the correct size cores, the only difference you'll notice between cheap and expensive cable is its ability to coil neatly.

The obvious question is which D&B Boxes. are you wanting 4 core or 2 core, or of course 5 (6) core, or what? Also, are we putting EP's or NL's on or both and some jumpers?

You really can't go far wrong with the stuff from CPC, 2 x 2.5mm is on offer at the moment.

Both the offerings from Van Damme and Klotz are good options. We primarily use the Van Damme cable which comes in both Blue Series Studio grade or Black series Tour grade variants.

The best stuff we ever came across was the RPC series from Reference Cables in italy - good quality, tough but incredibly flexible. At present, however, I am not aware of any distributor in the UK and we had to import the last time we got some.

Steve

something much better than the CPC own brand stuff.

"Better" is a rather subjective term. In what way do you want it to be better? Coils better? Looks better? Has a better brand name printed on the jacket? Better for your bank balance?

Better as in what? CPC do VDC and Neutrik, or cheaper alternatives. If you buy the Van Damm it's decent, quality cable that coils well, has a tough outer jacket and has VDC in big letters so people know you paid lots for it. If you buy the cheaper alternative you get cable that coils well, is pretty tough and doesn't have the VDC printing on it. The connectors are Neutriks.

If you subscribe to the absolute quality model, then VDC will keep you happy. If you don't, then the non VDC cable will do the same job.

After having seen several Van Damm multis that looked like pig tails - all curly and impossible to make lay flat, I don't worry too much about brand any longer. I'm sure Klotz and VDC will last longer - but I'd rather renew cable more often than have tatty, older cable systems that haven't quite earned their keep.

Now if they made better sounding cables, that would be a different matter ................ (let's not start that one again!)

I Just need 2 Core with NL's and am wanting something much better than the CPC own brand stuff.

Out of interest, which d&b boxes are you running?

As Rob has already intimated - d&b subs use a third wire for Sensedrive when run off D12s with EP5 or NL8

If you are just running E or Q tops for vocal applications with no subs, then provided the boxes have NLs fitted, 2 Core will be just the job.

Again, Rob's suggestion of jumpers is an excellent one, especially if you're hiring in.

As far as which cable to buy, as long as you buy a decent gauge (2.5mm or 4.0mm) at the end of the day copper is copper, so the most important aspect is a robust flexible cable that will handle and coil easily. HO7 is often considerably cheaper than dedicated "speaker cable" per metre for the same gauge and will do the job perfectly.

Again, MUCH better is subjective and application dependant.

I've got lots of vandamme cable, lots of klotz and as much of the CPC 2x2.5mm and 4x2.5mm as both put together and if anything, the vandamme is the worst to coil.

The 2x2.5mm vandamme is nice and thin so keeps the weight down but that says something about its durability too. When you move onto 4 core vandamme and much more commonly 8 core, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole anymore. I've been there and done that with pig tail cables that you simply just have to throw away. And given the cost it's simply not worth it.

Perhaps I read it wrong (it's difficult in text form so forgive me if I'm wrong) but the way you write it seems a bit like you're bothered more about the printing on the side than anything else. And that as you are using whoevers D&B speakers (regarded as one of the top manufacturers) that you would be letting yourself down putting copper that says pro power on it to them. It's really not the case. Durability and ability to coil neatly after several hundred shows is what matters, and if you can do that for 38ppm at the moment (hint hint) instead of £1 per metre then why let a badge worry you. Especially if like me you need several km of it.

I made up all my speakon cables with Tasker 4x2.5. And have never once needed to complain about it's coiling ability. It strips quickly and neatly, and is nice and flexible.

Can't remember how much I paid, but it wasn't lots. Got it from LMC who are a dealer in the stuff.

2p in the pot.

We normally use standard flexible (HOV) mains cable: economic and locally available. But some standard flexible cables can work loose in plugs and Neutriks leading to nasty episodes - something to do with the way the cable is put in the outer sheath and it happens only on certain brands. Consequenty a yearly visual check has been instituted (a pain...) on mains plugs and speakons... BUT has so far saved some surprises.

Worse are the new regulations in public venues getting tighter where only Halogen free etc green cable can be used ... Bends are difficult (it is STIFF), it is heavy... So we play the game and only use it in fixed installation or when specified!

In all cases for PA work impedance/loss is the most important aspect, so as large a gauge as sensible (except with the little 100w or less units).

I Just need 2 Core with NL's and am wanting something much better than the CPC own brand stuff.

Out of interest, which d&b boxes are you running?

As Rob has already intimated - d&b subs use a third wire for Sensedrive when run off D12s with EP5 or NL8

If you are just running E or Q tops for vocal applications with no subs, then provided the boxes have NLs fitted, 2 Core will be just the job.

I am running E12 and E15x-Sub but off one D12 amp and am running the Boxes on NL's so for the moment 2 core is fine and then when we go to Q we will run it all on EP5 and use the sence drive.

Don't forget though, that the D&B subs use pins 2+ & 2-, so make up your cables accordingly (and most importantly, mark them up so you know which is for tops, and which is for subs)

If you wanted, you could use 4 core to the subs, and link out of the subs with 2 core to the tops, however you still need to make sure that you pick the right cable. Best way to solve this would be to just make up 4 core for all your NL4's, and then you can use any cable, in any place.

Both NL4 outputs of a D12 use all 4 pins (tops on 1+-, and subs on 2+-)

(Just don't forget to sum your A&B inputs together)

Archived