What to buy

Junki

Hi all,

First post here. My question is:

We are a technical supplies and hire company and have an offer for some Avos (Pearl 2004 = 2500€; 2008 = 5000€; D4 elite = 12000€) and I don´t know what to buy (I don´t use avos never but Hogs, chamsys, Ma, LT). I think Diamond is the most complete desk in the pack but my doubt is if 'the best' is what we need since we give service to big theatres here and when a band is coming to our venue asking for a pearl maybe operator is not happy with a diamond...

What do you think?

Cheers,

Junki.

PS: excuse my poor english...

It all depends on present use and future expansion.

Sure, the D4 is the "best desk" out of those listed, but if your ever only going to have a rig consisting of a load of generics and not a massive amount of movers, then probably the Pearls are more usuful. Also, for the price of one D4 you could get 2 or even 3 Pearls.

Saying that, when I was totally clued up on Pearl operation, it didnt take long to switch to opping a D4.

So , I think , it really depends on the scale of jobs your working on now and what you might be expanding to in the future.

It all depends on present use and future expansion.

Sure, the D4 is the "best desk" out of those listed...

The D4 is the biggest, most expensive and feature adorned desk in the list. But as you point out, the best desk actually depends on the application.

Incoming LDs will often specify a Pearl because they know the chances of one being available and they know exactly what they will get. Many lx technicians of a range of abilities will be confident they can get a show out of the Pearl even if they are not Avolites programmers. The D4 is easy enough to pick up but "picking stuff up" is not something you fancy your chances of in the middle of tour, TBH.

And 99% of the time, a Pearl will probably the job.

On the face of it, sounds like a Pearl choice to me.

If I were you I would buy a Pearl Expert. The hardware is all new and upgradable whereas the 2004/08/10 boards are getting quite old now and cannot support latest software. The Expert can run Titan giving you all the functions of a D4 but in the familiar Pearl layout and frame size. It also has the option of running the old 'Classic' software if a user prefers.

If you need to save money then one of the standard Pearls will do a fine job, but for a little extra the Expert is the 'futureproof' choice.

edit:/ oh, and (between you and me), an Expert running Titan has more playbacks than an Elite... :)

If I were you I would buy a Pearl Expert.

*holds tongue*

If you did buy an Expert then, as Nic says, Classic mode is a doddle for those incoming LDs. Now that it apparently works properly and assuming that Avo continue to support the idea of the Classic interface on the Expert.

Archived