Pegboard / workshop storage solutions

TomHoward

Currently I have tools over shelves, floors, drawers full of misc connectors, etc.

I had thought about building some pigeon hole-style racks, so I could sort everything out, but I've also been wondering about using shop-fitting style pegboards.

It'll be on an end wall of the control room, which would store misc tools, perhaps some gel frames, and smaller cables (patch cables and adaptors) that don't go onto the big cable rack in the dimmer room.

Does anyone have any good solutions to this? It would be good if it was modular, to allow for bits to be moved around as needed, and hopefully not too expensive.

That's the stuff I've been looking at, which has little hooks which attach and I could hang cables on. I'd also need to hang little buckets on as well though to fill with things like connectors, so it could really do with being a little bit sturdier.

I could actually just fix a couple of sheets of 18mm ply to the wall and screw into them wherever I need on reflection, but there might be a neater way of doing this.

Why dont you go for the little pidegeon hole style shelving? therefore you can store little things like connectors, nuts, bolts ect and they aint going to fall out! Plus there easy enough to make if your any good with wood : - )

The amount of work involved with cutting all the boards. I'd want about half pigeon holes and half pegs (for hanging cables on.) Also, if I have drawers that lift out, I can take a drawer of nuts / washers / XLRs out and walk round with it.

I've been thinking of building modular panels on ply with pigeon holes, hooks etc on it, but it's the labour involved if there's an off-the-shelf solution available.

That is just what I've been looking at in the Screwfix catalogue this evening (whilst babysitting a one-mic lecture) - they are called 'Storage Bins' in there, and they have branded and unbranded ones, just adding up the cost of each. I think I will mount a couple of these panels onto ply, combined with some dowel pegs to hang cables on.

Stick some batons on the wall and screw ply sheets to these to avoid making a mess of the wall if I want to take them off / move them around.

Archived